If there is more of a transfer penalty than planned for, does Medicaid eligibility HAVE to be delayed or can they chose to put a lien on the house for later asset recovery if care is needed sooner? Trying to save the house may not be worth it if there is a way to use what's left in the retirement acct. to cover the bills between application and receipt of services. If I can delay whatever penalty might happen, I can provide care longer. If it will be an immediate financial hit, but we don't know when (due to medical changes), my health can't take it.