Follow

This may be of interest:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/10/when-medicaid-takes-everything-you-own/596671/?utm_medium=offsite&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=newsstand-business

Very interesting article. It makes the point that the only way MERP "works" is that the people subject to it have no idea it exists. The examples in the article are heartbreaking as well. I hope Tawanda (the African American woman who is the main person profiled in the story) somehow keeps up the good fight and refuses to let the powers that be take the small ramshackle house her parents managed to purchase after years of hard work (and no doubt years of previous unpaid hard work by slave ancestors).
(1)

On the subject of costs.....prenatal vitamins can be purchased for less than $20 at any drug and grocery store. When my mom worked at the women’s health clinic at the hospital, they would give patients on medi-cal prenatal vitamins and bill Medi-cal $800!!
(1)

I have thought about it alot and I completely understand healthcare is for profit in the US. So what would happen if its regulated, the government would be able to negotiate better.

Example: The person I cared for received 120 diapers, liners and blue pads a month, 4 boxes of gloves (400 gloves), 50 wipes and 1 tube of barrier cream. Cost from preferred vendor to Medicaid $894 and some change. So, you go to Sams club in my area boxes of depends she was XL box of 80 is 42.98 (2 boxes a month 85.96), 400 gloves 16.96, liners 28.98 for 192, underpads 100 for 34.48, wipes 8.98 for 240 and barrier cream under 10. Total cost with 6% sales tax $196.48. So we are saying the other $697 is shipping and overhead?

Ex was telling me Medicaid approved an experimental procedure on his moms legs so no amputation. $25K a leg for at least 8 weeks max 6 months. It will do nothing to improve her life, just stop amputation, wtf?

Same goes with Medicare skilled care and Medicaid aides. Its all pretty ridiculous. Contracts need to be renegotiated.
(2)

I read that article, too, and it was very enlightening. I don't think there would ever be exceptions for middle class and lower class people to allow them to keep and pass down their homes, though (outside of the current exceptions) to prevent Medicaid recovery.

I don't know what the answer is, outside of greatly increased taxes. The younger generations want free college, and of course that will result in greatly increased taxes. So what's going to happen? What will long-term care be like in the U.S. in another 20 or so years? It can't possible be put even more on the families than it already is.
(1)

I found that very interesting tacy - I had no idea that estate recovery was a relatively new concept, it certainly explains why so many people who come to the forum have no clue until it is too late to protect themselves. The statistics about how little is recouped through the program are eye opening as well - there is so much misery for so little gain. I've often contemplated how impoverishing the next generation of those who will need care through m.e.r.p. and enforcing filial responsibility laws will play out in the future.
(2)

Start a Discussion

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter