Follow

I care give for my mom, 90 years old. Moderate late stage Alzheimer’s. I just realized that even with this terrible disease I have to realize I still have things to be grateful for.

There are a lot of stories about people being combative when it comes time to bathe. As an example, my sister has a friend whose husband just passed from Alzheimer’s and he punched her in the face when she suggested it was time to shower. My mom does not realize when she needs bathing. I put fresh clothing out for her, have her towels ready and ask her to remove her clothes and all she has to do is get in the shower. Every single time, she complys without complaint.

Does anyone have something they are grateful for even in a challenging situation such as being a caregiver?

Anxiety ,

Good for you! You’ll get a break and be able to relax because you will be too far away to go over to your Mom’s house , leaving your brother with POA to have to step up !!
(0)

Just booked our cruise in January 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
(1)

The humidity is down! 😁 I am so greatfull for low humidity for a couple of days.
(0)

Grateful for Amazon.ca. I have used it for many years and today I got a wrong item delivered. The first is all these years which is a pretty good record for them. The return process is easy too. Grateful for that.

Grateful for air conditioning in the heat wave we are having.

Grateful for having moved from my house to this condo. Life is much easier here.

Grateful for being pretty healthy all things, especially my age, considered.

And along with others very grateful for this forum. I think I have been here over 10 years now and it was a life line in my "caregiving of mother" days. At my age your friends die or get dementia, so grateful to have all of you to chat with at times. 🌷🌹💐💮🌺🌼🌻
(7)

I’m happy for you GrayGrammie.
(2)

I am grateful that what my husband failed to do (provide for my future) my father took care of by his will.

I am grateful that a daughter, one that I was closest to, has been reconciled after two years of distance. She says she missed me and wanted so much to be with me, but she is not to a place yet to deal with her father. We just did a long weekend with her family at a state park. It was so good to hug her and the family again. (We had a first step in May when she joined us to help us deal with my father's house.)

I am grateful for air conditioning right now!

I am grateful for the son that lives with us, even though he has issues, he handles the man stuff around here.

I am grateful for the wildlife we see at our house. Deer, raccoons, possums, fox are all regulars. Bear have been nearby (walked past my neighbor's pool Monday while she was in it, she was hoping he wasn't going to climb in, but he continued in my direction . . . and I wasn't home, boo hiss) but this year I have yet to see one.
(6)

I'm Greatfull for getting up early this morning, getting some alone time, and with reading this forum this morning, I gained some clarity.

Yes mom is in pain, but mom raised my brother to be the golden child, then mom picked him (that could careless) to be her POA. Mom is the one that worships him. Mom is the one that hides her pain, when he calls.

Thank you 🙏
(2)

Every day I wake up in the morning I'm grateful I woke up. Shouldn't everyone be?
(4)

My dad thanked me each and every time I provided something for him. He realized I was helping by choice, not obligation or demand. He’s gone now and I remain grateful
(6)

Hummingbirds , cardinals, and red breasted grosbeak
(1)

Grateful for this forum!
Grateful for learning a lot through going through this all with my dad, which hopefully will be helpful knowledge later when I, my family and friends go through the aging process
(3)

I’m grateful for my father’s financial planning!

I’m grateful for the big fluffy purring cat on my lap right now.

I’m grateful for this forum, which has been the BEST help for my brain, even just reading through posts. Thank you all!
(3)

I am grateful for my 9 and 8 year old granddaughters. I've been spending a lot of time with them over the past month because my daughter is working and just being with them is helping me cope with the loss of my mother. They are my joy.
(4)

Right now I'm worried about mom.

But I am greatfull for my beautiful flowers, I planted from seed.

I'm Great full for my amazing husband, who is so patient with me and my caregiving moods.

I am greatfull for this forum, and all the amazing people that have helped me . Even when they had to do some brutal honesty with me.

Even though things haven't been great, I know there will be good days ahead for me.
(1)

I love this so much, I tried to do something like this a while ago, but it didn't get many post. Hopefully you have better luck.

Gotta admit, sorry having a off day , so nothing to add, hopefully tomorrow I can!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter