Follow

I found this story remarkable! It is incredibly moving. NPR and many others did a story on her recently. She is from Spain. She was a prima ballerina with the New York ballet.

As soon as she heard the music from Swan Lake she started doing the motions of ballet with her body while sitting in a wheelchair!

Copy & Paste: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-j5yeRDBaU

Oh, I saw another incredible story recently too. A young man with Down’s Syndrome won an ‘Iron Man’ competition!

I cried and had goose bumps with both of these stories.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
GA,

I got chills watching it. Truly an inspiration. Also a mystery, right? The human mind is remarkable, even with a debilitating issue such as Alzheimer’s disease.

I have always found solace in music. We have a group of musicians in New Orleans that have participated in music therapy. Music is a universal language that is powerful and healing to the mind, body and spirit.

My mom loved to dance with my father to Sinatra! Her physical therapist played Sinatra tunes for her when she shared that info with him. It was so touching to see.

Sinatra brought a little joy and wonderful memories to her sessions while listening to favorite tunes. Nowadays, music is so portable. We can pull it up on our phones anytime that we like.
(0)

NeedHelpWithMom, the video brought tears to my eyes.   To see how she still graciously moved her arms, dancing in her wheelchair, was an overpowering experience of sadness, hope, confidence in the human spirit, appreciation of the art of ballet and its training, and the mixture of old age limitations vs. the power of the human mind, and the body through training of what I consider one of the most beautiful arts of all.  

That's why I wear my ballet shoes when I work out.   They're transformative.
(1)

Geaton,

I totally agree. She is extremely graceful. You can see how she is intensely immersed in her dance. It’s so beautiful.

Thanks, Gacy

Will check it out.
(0)

"Alive Inside" is another amazing story of how music can affect advanced dementia patients. Find it on YouTube.
(1)

Yes, I saw the ballerina - a deeply embedded memory in both her mind and muscles. She was still very graceful!
(1)

Her name is Marta González. Please look at this video!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter