Follow

Some time ago I purchased emergency buckets of food for my father in case he ever needed them (something like with a shelf life 20 years or so). Well he has dementia now. Today he asked me to explain why there were buckets of rice etc in his storage shed? I guess sometime within these past few years he moved the buckets from the house to the shed and he was opening them all up one by one to find out what was in there (instead of reading the label) 😆. I said oh boy, well I guess these aren’t going to last being that they are open now (plus if the shed wasn’t temperature controlled not sure if they would be good now anyhow). He asked me if I knew who put them in the shed. I just said hmm that’s an interesting question. (My husband said I can just picture it...him taking food out of his pantry and putting it in the shed one night).

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
If we were to tell all the crazy stories about CG and our elders---one of my faves about my MIL is this one; She saw a mouse in her yard. (Haven't we all? I mean, they LIVE outdoors!) She was so upset. She called me and asked me if I could get her a 50 lb bag of D-CON and sprinkle it around the perimeter of her yard. After I stopped laughing, I said "D-CON isn't like Kryptonite, it actually ATTRACTS mice..DO NOT do this". (Also asked why she thought this mouse wanted to come in her house and she replied "well, he looked cold and my house is so nice and warm"....)

I hung up, just laughing. THEN she promptly called SIL, DH and her other son. Didn't believe me, I guess. Nobody would help her out and so she lives in fear and trembling of a mouse getting in her house. NEver had one in 65 years of living in the same house, why they's suddenly decide to visit, IDK.
(0)

And it goes without saying that you don’t ask an old person how they are feeling during lunch! I learned this the hard way, when I took my husband’s loud, brash grandmother to a fancy uptown restaurant.

Oh my gosh, I was in my twenties and oh boy, did I get an education on old people’s bowel movements, or should I say lack thereof, in her case. I not only lost my appetite but so did others who were sitting near us in this quaint upscale restaurant.

Needless to say, I felt like crawling under the table to hide. It was so embarrassing. Now, I find it funny.

It’s always been my dream to be a stand up comic. I have loads of material!
(1)

Oh my gosh, yes. Some things are hysterical. My godmother who had ALZ, would wait for people to come out of the bathroom and ask them, “Did everything come out alright?” LOL 😂

My cousin who is extremely prim and proper was not amused but the other patrons in the restaurant were laughing. I suppose that you could call it free entertainment if you are on the outside looking in.
(1)

My dad also would have laughed at many of the things he says now, in the last stages.
"Why are you wearing two pairs of pants, Dad?"
"I have two legs, don't I?"
(3)

My dad has a zero turn lawnmower.. his bad boy. When he was still able to get out to the barn, he tried to start it one day. He went to spray starter fluid in the motor... yeah... he grabbed a can of spray paint instead.
(5)

My DH Aunt had a bowel accident last week. Made a big mess.
Asked her aide “Did I do that?”
“Yes” said the aide “you did.”

“I didn’t do that”, aunt said, you did it!”
”Ok, the aide said, I did it”.

As Joann said, we sometimes have to laugh to keep from crying.
(6)

My fathers always had a great sense of humor so I know if he didn’t have the dementia he would laugh at himself, or laugh at me, if the tables were turned 😂. Of course I never laugh in front of him. I wouldn’t want to make him feel bad because he wouldn’t understand. My sister doesn’t like to use humor but I told her as a caregiver I have to try to find humor in things, it’s the most stressful job I’ve ever had.
(7)

Good that you look on the funny side of things. I personally thought I was making fun of my Mom and that she would not have appreciated. And I know I won't. But my daughter, RN in NH/rehabs, said its either laugh or cry. I can look back on things and laugh but not at the time.

Yeah, how do you tell Dad it must have been him. Thanks for the smile.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter