Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I loved rocket man and I loved the movie bohemian rhapsody with queen.
(3)

Watched Rocketman last night.

Was so-so.

Glad I didn't pay to see it at a movie theater.

Watched Judy a few nights ago. That one was really good.

Want to order up Joker but will wait. Gotta be in the right frame of mind. Looks really dark & disturbing.

Taking g'daughter today to see new movie, Doolittle. Hope it's as good as the previews make it seem.
(0)

Does anyone remember drive in movies? Oh my gosh! I used to love to go to those. First with my parents, then as a teenager with my friends. I saw Hitchcock films at the drive in, the old Elvis movies there, The Beatles films, Pink Panther films, The Sting, Gidget, Gosh, I am dating myself.

I guess my crushes as a kid was Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford, Paul Newman and a few others.

I remember that some kids would ride in the trunks of cars and you would see them popping out of trunks just before the movie started! Hahaha

What was your favorite animated movie as a kid? Mine was Alice in Wonderland. When all of my friends were wearing Mickey Mouse watches, I selected an Alice watch! Daddy took me to buy my watch. I loved the book too. I saw all of the animated films as a kid. Read the books too.

My teachers were big on us reading all of the classics. I loved reading anything Dickens wrote.
(2)

That’s a very fun movie Garden artist / woody allen directed ?
(0)

Watched a movie I probably wouldn't have otherwise b/c I wasn't familiar with it and the title wasn't intriguing, but the synopsis was.   It's about a young would-be author who travels with his fiancée and her family to Paris.  In the evening he transports back to Paris during the time when American ex pats lived in Paris.

He meets Gertrude Stein, Picasso, Salvador Dali, Hemingway, Fitzgerald and  Toulouse Lautrec.    Beyond the interesting portrayal of these literary and artistic personae, he explores Paris, meets women with whom he thinks he's in love, and tries to "find" himself.

The scenery is so lovely, the music very Parisian - all that's missing is a rousing can can.  

For someone who's been captured by Paris, it's an entrancing movie.    I'll probably watch it when it airs again Sunday.    I felt as if I too was in Paris, but I was also drawn to the intellectual camaraderie of that time when the ex-pats lived a kind of Bohemian lifestyle.
(2)

Polar,

Yes! His music is amazing. Will have to check out the movie. There isn’t anything that compares to a live performance though. I will still go to the movie if the production is good.

The last Weber play I saw was Phantom. Was phenomenal. Loved it. Awhile back at our Sanger Theatre.
(1)

NHWM - I went to see Cats in the theater right before Xmas. Loved the music. I've seen the musical on stage many times and loved it. I so admire Adrew L. Webber's musical talent. His music is incredible. To me, being a logical number person, it's a mystery how some people can create such beautiful music.
(0)

I really enjoyed Two Popes. I had not heard of it and it was either on Prime or Netflix.

I saw Victoria and Abdul in the theatre and enjoyed watching it again too.

The last movie I saw in a theatre was Downton Abbey.

Streaming TV series:

I am enjoying Shetland and Vera on Knowledge Network. They are both British crime series based on novels by Anne Cleeves.

Mystery Road is a great short series out of Australia. I saw parallels in how First Nations people’s are marginalized in my community.
(1)

Elaine,

I love Hanks. One of my favorite movies with him is an old one. BIG! LOVE that movie. So cute!
(1)

I want to see Cats! I need to go out this weekend! Hahaha
(2)

I saw "Little Women" with my sis last week. It is the same story, but told in flashbacks and flash forwards--making it a whole new experience. If you have not read the book however, it wouldn't make a lick of sense as it bounces all over the place.

Sis and I go to the theaters in the day and get the "Luxury Seating". I'm spoiled--I sit down with my popcorn and Diet Coke and don't MOVE for 3 hours.

'Once upon A Time in Hollywood'--lots of twist plots and VERY good, although the language got to me after a while!

Also took the grandgirls to see "CATS" and while it was panned by the critics, we absolutely loved it.

"Judy" was fanatastic! I couldn't believe how well Renee Zellweger morphed into BEING Judy Garland.
(1)

Just saw Ford v Ferrari this afternoon and it was great! Christian Bale was amazing, kind of transcendent. Not sure how he didn't get an Academy Award nomination. Of course Matt Damon was very good as well. I have no natural interest in cars or racing or any of that but my dad wanted to see it (he used to pop out to the movies fairly often on his own before he became disabled) so we made the effort to get out to the theater in the bustling downtown in the town next to our town. Fun to be out and about, and a very entertaining movie.
(3)

I went to the movies and saw the Joker and LOVED IT!!! Also saw MR Rogers movie with Tom Hanks. Loved it!!! Once upon a time was great with brad Pitt and Leonardo. They made the movie. If you like Quentin Terintino movies with all his bizarre twists and turns then you will like it. But it was the actors that made the movie, not the script.
(3)

Dorker,

Have not, I heard it was very good. I want to see that too. If you see it first, please report back to us. Thanks.
(1)

Anyone seen Motherless Brooklyn? Hoping it's out soon on Netflix. Looks good.
(3)

I want to see The Joker! Did you like it, Tacy? How was Once Upon a Time?
(1)

Garden,

I do the same. I watch things over too! Hey, why not? We listen to our favorite songs over and over again.

Well, regarding Downton Abbey, it is a continuous story which addresses subjects that were not in the series. I liked it.

I don’t go to the movies a lot either. Once in awhile I want to see something on the big screen.

I have fairly eclectic taste. It just has to be a quality production. Not wasting money or time on a mediocre films.
(4)

NeedHelpWithMom, is the Downton Abbey movie different from the episodes?  It wasn't clear from the hype that there was new material, or if it was a collection or selection of existing episodes.

Barnes & Noble had the DVD and BlueRay versions on sale for 30% off.

I haven't been to theater in years; just too expensive.    And I'd rather just stay home and be comfortable.  

One of the movies I've watched repeatedly and just watched again a few weeks ago is Force 10 from Navarone.  I've read most of Alister McLean's international spy and intrigue novels on which they're based, and watched some of them more than a few times.   Guns of Navarone and Ice Station Zebra were especially gripping and tense, and well acted.   

One of the aspects I like about these kinds of movies is the focus on creativity in challenging situations.

Of course I watched the repeat of the 8 series version of Pride and Prejudice over the last few weeks.  This is the version with Colin Firth.    Although I've seen it several times, this last time was literally an eye-opener; I saw aspects I had missed before, such as the intensely satirical nature Austen created in some of the characters.    In some ways, it is more of a satire, a somewhat comical and definitely critical one, than a novel.
(4)

Thanks for the recommendations everyone, I am going to put the peanut butter falcon on the list.
(1)

I agree with others, Peanutbutter Falcon was very good. Young actor with Down’s syndrome was wonderful.

Curious....Do others on this site do the Netflix DVDs by mail? We live at the end of the earth, dish for tv but streaming too expensive, no cable, so we’ve been doing netfix DVDs for years. Really cheap too. Doesn’t seem that many people know about the service.
(1)

I saw Downton Abbey. I loved the PBS series. Movie was great!
(2)

I never miss a chance to watch seabiscuit or secretariat
(1)

Saw Jumanji. Very entertaining
(1)

Pillow Talk with Doris Day and Rock Hudson, laughed until it hurt.

Recommend it for anyone that needs a good laugh.
(3)

My sons raved about "Knives Out" so I'm looking forward to seeing that. I also heard that Peanut Butter Falcon was good.
(3)

We just don't go to theaters with my asthma so I rely on Redbox for DVDs and Amazon for steaming. We recently saw Peanut Butter Falcon and really enjoyed it - a little drama and a little humor. Just right. We also enjoyed The Biggest Little Farm which was somewhat humorous to us. This is about an organic farm which was obviously backed by millions. We know a lot about organic farming and permaculture and for these folks to have started this farm on draughty California, it was very pricy. So we enjoyed some insight that others would not have.

Loved the new season of Mrs Masel on Amazon - I accidentally binge watched the whole season. Looking forward to watching the BBC's newest season of Endeavor soon when I have a moment.

I'm waiting for Mr. Roger's movie!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter