Follow

I figured this thread could be a break for those who are caregiving and need to focus on something fun for a little while. I am asking those who don't want to participate to please refrain from making negative comments. Please do not ruin the fun for others who are participating in this thread. Thank you. (keep in mind, that I am not ignorant (and not a pollyanna), of what others are going through, I do understand but I want people to take breaks and have some fun, even it's for a few minutes)

I did get to see the movie "Judy" recently, thought it was very good. I also saw the two popes on NYD and thought that was very good, too.

I would like to see the Good Liar and it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, I missed out on those when they were at the theaters a couple months ago, but they are coming out on DVD in February.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I've recently watched Downtown Abby on HBO on tv. My mom and I watched together and it was really good.

I also watched on HBO a documentary called Moonlight Sonata: Deafness in Three Movements. VERY good. I highly recommend it. This movie is produced by a mother of a young deaf boy who gets implants to hear and his subsequent learning of the piano. SHE is the same producer who made a documentary about her parents who got implants to hear quite a few years ago! Her parents are in this film too and featured in a very touching way.

I also saw documentary Buzz! Fascinating. Very entertaining.

Drama/comedy Simple Favor. Intriguing and very funny. I liked it.
(1)

Geaton I don't know if it was a made for tv movie, I watched it on YouTube. I don't and haven't had a tv in my home for 25 years.
(0)

Favorite chick-ish flix: Shakespear in Love, Room with a View, African Queen
(0)

Isthisrealyreal, wasn't The Dollmaker a made-for-tv movie? I think I remember it...yes, it was very good.
(0)

I watched a heart moving film called The Dollmaker movie starring a young Jane Fonda.

I recommend it for anyone that needs some encouragement while going through the hard times.
(0)

pagh8264: I remember seeing the movie that inspired the movie "the upside", it was a french film called the intouchables. I saw it online with the english subs and thought it was a great movie. I think you would be able to find it online or at the public library, if you are interested in watching it.
(1)

Our neighborhood video store is going out of business, because of online streaming services such as netflix and hulu, So they have been selling out their entire store. (A dollar general is going to be opening there after Feb.) I managed to get the classics and the movies I loved for 28.00 (for 8 movies) and I went over yesterday to see what they had left and found 7 movies for 10 cents a piece. Last night, I watched the accused, a film from the 80's (a ten center that I found on Wednesday afternoon), I have seen it before but I watched it again. It's a very good film.
(0)

Saw Amazing Grace last night, the Aretha Franklin film made with a gospel choir. Wonderful film. Made in 1972 but for various reasons not released until recently. If you can go see it in a theater, big screen, big sound system.
(3)

The Money Pit is one of my favorite movies! Hubs and I can't go out at night so much anymore.. so I love my Amazon Prime that DD got me for Christmas. And sometimes we get movies from the library... they have a lot of new things
(3)

Thank the good Lord for Netflix. When I'm not caring for mom, I escape for several hours alone in my bedroom, prop myself up on the bed and binge watch good movies. The latest one I saw was entitled Reign. Queen Mary of Scots. The time frame and gorgeous costumes and the plot based off her life was fascinating. I love historical dramas during the reign of infamous royalties. It gives something to look forward to at night as well after watching an episode or two during the day.
(4)

Disney is offering a streaming plan Disney+ Espn+ and Hulu for $12.99 a month. I thought I was picking up Disney+ for the kids and the recent goodies (Toy Story, Star Wars, Avengers, etc), but there's so much of the old Disney vault available the family has been watching more together (kids, my brother and cousins) has watched a lot of older movies like Swiss Family Robertson, Old Yeller, Secretariat, The Black Station, Herbie, etc. And it's not just old farts like me. My second cousin who's under 30 with 3 small children is watching a similar play list too!

If your internet is fast enough to support streaming, I recommend the Disney, Espn, Hulu package as one of the best entertainment values available (Disney includes National Geographic too). Hulu has a lot more series and recent movie content, Espn+ has sports shows and games, and having access to a lot of the Disney catalog from the last 70 years is fantastic!
(2)

Can't afford to go to movies, but when good ones come on tv, love to watch those.  Saw Money Pit .. again, because it makes me laugh!
(1)

I watched The Upside the other night on a cable station and really did enjoy it. I didn’t think that I could find humor in taking care of a quadriplegic, but Kevin Hart always makes me laugh. I saw Knives Out in the theatre and it was great. I spend so much of my time now with my 94+ father or alone that A movie theatre seems to be the only place I can feel that I can actually watch something with someone else. It is so much more fun to watch a comedy and hear others laughing or hear the gasps in a good surprise. Movie theatres are at risk as we become more and more isolated - the cost of tickets vs the wider choices on tv make it less desirable. I guess, I’m just nostalgic for the way it used to be.
(2)

Techie, drive-in move theaters bring back so many memories.   Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
(3)

We are so lucky to have two drive in theaters operating in our area. One in Bristol, TN only runs on weekends and is very family friendly in both admissions and concession pricing and the movie line up. The screen is located in the low end of a gentle valley with each viewing row being higher placed than the row in front and a center walking aisle down to the lowest lane. To one side of the screen in plain view is a kids playground with concessions on the other side of the screen. So you can watch the kids playing or getting popcorn. First feature at dusk is always something for the kids, next feature is something PG/13, and late movie might be an R or another PG/13. A lot of young families bring their kids and some folding chairs and/or spread a blanket on the grass in the row dividers. Younger kids go to sleep on the blanket after their movie and parents enjoy the later shows without having to pay a babysitter. Good fun night out for the whole family for only $20-30. A few years back there was a national contest to "save" a drive in (pay the $250,000 conversion cost to digital projectors) and the people in our area voted early and often so this theater won. Afterwards there was a funding raising drive for the other local Elizabethton drive in which has the more traditional paved viewing lot (and is now the only active theater in E town). We kept them both.

BTW: I-81 runs through Bristol TN with connections from I-26 and I-40 so if you will be traveling through/near our area, you might like to spend a night and enjoy the drive in.
(3)

Unbelievable: an 8 episode limited series on Netflix. Very emotional because it's based on a true story about a serial rapist. Shows both the best of our policing agencies and the worst side of the criminal justice system.
(0)

I’m thinking of doing a red box rental tonight
much cheaper than downloading off cable
(2)

MsMadge and Riverdale, yes, the movie was Midnight in Paris.   I wasn't aware it was a Woody Allen movie though.   And yes, the sets were wonderful; I could really feel as if I was in Paris.   The sets captured what I think would be a real Paris "mood."     I think the lighting was very effective, especially in the evening scenes. 

And the costumes...Wow!   Roaring 20s costumes can be lovely; there's so much grace in the women's costumes.    

I was thinking afterward how women's wear has changed so much over the years.   

I thought Kathy Bates was especially adept at playing Gertrude Stein.
(4)

G'daughter and myself really enjoyed Doolittle. Really good.

She's staying the night and we're gunna pull up on Amazon Prime, Lemony Snickets, an Unfortunate Series of Events.

She and I watched ET last wknd, she had not seen it. She really liked it.
(2)

There is an older movie that seniors or caregivers might find fun, or mindless too Pam.
The Boynton Beach Club.
Brenda Vaccaro
Dyan Cannon
(3)

OK, I will admit I love cheesy crap movies for mindless entertainment! I watch B movies on Scyfi and now that I have Amazon prime I am in heaven! I have not been to a theatre since the last Lord of the rings! But I do love to watch TV shows from the places like the BBC channel. Don't judge me.. LOL
(4)

NHWM, it must have been Netflix. We never go out to the movies. We have other cable channels but I think it was Netflix.
(2)

JoJo Rabbit was very good, quite offbeat with both funny and sad parts. Will second the votes for Rocketman, Bohemian Rhapsody, Knives Out, and Judy. Saw Little Women with a friend who really wanted to see it, I was reluctant since I found the book so dull as a child. It wasn’t the worst movie, but I still think it’s dull (I know, it’s me!) Thanks for some new ideas I’m seeing here!
(1)

River,

At the movie theater or Netflix? I need to check listings on Netflix more often.
(0)

I saw Marriage Story. I admired the directing.
(1)

Garden Artist. That sounds like a Woody Allen film from I am guessing around 7 years ago or so called I believe "Midnight in Paris" unless I am wrong. If so I recall beautiful costumes and sets.
(2)

Did anyone see HER? The Joker actor was in that one. Phoenix is a phenomenal actor in HER. I saw it awhile back on Netflix. Cool movie.
(0)

Elaine,

I adore Robert Downey Jr!!! Always have. Fantastic actor and SO good looking to boot! Hahaha

Elton is awesome! Saw him live at our Jazz Fest. Mercury was awesome too. Crazy guy, but oh so talented!
(0)

Let us know how you liked Doolittle. I LOVE Robert Downey Jr!!! He is such a great actor!!! My husband and kids use to get me to see a movie by saying ROBERT DOWNEY JR. is in it!!!!
(2)

I remember the drive in movies in my late teen in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s. I loved going!!! I wish they would bring the drive in movies back!!!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter