Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
My daughters love that stuff. I have not tried watching it. Sounds fun, though.
(0)

If you short little video clips, try TikTok. I wanted to see what all the talk was about. They really have some cute stuff! Lots of baby videos, animals, military homecomings, all kinds of things. I think the longest video is a minute, most are shorter. When one is done, you just scroll up from the bottom of the screen to the next one. Don’t like it? Go to the next one?
(0)

Bobbie Sena,
Don't get me wrong, because I often appreciate your posts throughout.
Maybe you are correct on a 'technicality', but I found this concerning
Seasonal Affective Disorder:

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
What is Seasonal Affective Disorder?
Seasonal affective disorder* is a form of depression also known as SAD, seasonal depression or winter depression. In the Diagnostic Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), this disorder is identified as a type of depression – Major Depressive Disorder with Seasonal Pattern.

So, SAD is a name of a disorder.
SAD is in the DSM 5, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Psychiatric Disorders the physicians use.
(2)

This would be great in the Discussion thread.
(2)

This would actually be a great question for the DISCUSSION thread where it can go on forever and forever to the tune of thousands of answers!
I have always been a bit reclusive by nature, so my life isn't a whole lot altered. Yes, I cannot get out to do my treasure seeking at junk shops and etc, but I can still walk, garden, sew kimonos, read, do hobbies, enjoy Social Media (I LOVE Facebook, unlike a few others, and do art, crafts, have friends and etc on it). I think in my 78 years I have not really known much boredom at all, but I have come close a few times here.
Got a small freezer so I always have fixins for a huge pot of chili or spaghetti and meatballs. Of course living in San Francisco it isn't like I get snowed in, but when I had places where I DID get snowed in it was a lovely fire with the animals cuddled around, and that good book.
I finally got a Kindle, because at my age the eyes have one thing and another going, and I read a bit too much. I hope never to run out of mysteries. I may even try writing one-- just for fun. I already have the musty old inherited Russian River property in mind for the setting.
These are trying times in more ways than one; I think a lot has to do with the good luck of overall good health (knock wood) and as I said, overall clement weather with a lot of interests. You do miss the joy of the seasonal changes, however, trying that they may be.
I have a partner and we are somewhat ships passing as we move on to our own activities and then meeting to argue out the days events somewhere between. Him off to archery and me off to walk. Him down to the workshop and me to the sewing machine. Him to the computer, me to the stove. Me to the computer and him to CNN.
I hear there are now even University courses online. I could do with a good course in Art and Humanities from Oxford. Will have to save this for the future.
(4)

Need, a true naturally NOLA “seasons” story..... new boy came in late to early childhood K program; the teacher is trying to include the newbie in circle time and asks him a lowball question to answer. (NOTE: room is fully done in autumn decor)
Teacher: “Trey, can you tell me a name of 1 of the 4 seasons?”
Trey: gives teacher a hard look, remains silent
Teacher in big upbeat voice: “Theres 4 seasons, they all have names, which is your favorite, Trey?”
Trey, another hard look and says firmly: “there’s 5 seasons”
Teacher again in big upbeat voice: “Right now we’re in 1 season, do you know which one we’re in?” (gestures to room decor)
Trey leans back on his sit-upon, looks directly at her and says in big voice: “Teal & there's 5 seasons, teal, deer, quail, duck and geese.”
She flat lost it in laughter. Class dissolved into chaos.

& for those who don’t hunt, Trey was right, Teal season is early September. On retrospect his Cabelas little kid size camo backpack should have been a clue.
(5)

o, MERCY1 I AM SO VERY VERY GLAD MORE THAN EVER THAT I NEVER HAVE DONE FACEBOOK OR ANY OTHER SO CALLED SOCIAL MEDIA.I AM SO GLAD I HAVE REAL FRIENDS. I PRAY FOR A BOYCOTT OF FACEBOOK, ETC. SO THEY WOULD ALL JUST GO AWAY.
(1)

Yes, it is true ; color is very important especially green. i am very blessed to live at the high end of a very long shallow canyon filld with flourishing live oaks and junipers.Beautiful lush lovely green all year round.What a blessing!Those of us so blessed should never forget to thank God every day for abundant seasonal rainsandverdant greenery. We should never take these wonderful things for granted.They are very precious.They are so invigorating and uplifting.
(2)

There is really no such thing as "seasonal depression". this is a myth arising from the depression often caused in winter by vitamin D deficiencies.Severe deficiciencies of any kind can cause nervous system and or brain disorders including depression, panic attacks,anxiety, etc.Eat at least one or more whole eggs every day. Drink a lot of whole milk every day. eat a lot of organic berries, fruits, and veggies every day.eat wild caught salmon at least once a week and wild caught cod or shrimp at least once a week.If panic attacks and or other disorders ever do happen, take sublingual methyl B12.That will provide immediate rellief. however, a truly clean pure healthy daily diet is necessary for a healthy body, brain, and nervous system.Also, be aware that so called meds such as statins and or diuretics cause nervous system problems by interfering with the processing of nutrients in the body.Eat only real food, take no meds nor supplements other than B12.Be happy and healthy!I doubt there are any activities that prevent depression. however, i do tremendously enjoy reading really good books and then discussing them with friends.i have ordered David Jeremiah's new book Forward and Robert Jeffress' Courageous and others. also, I am reveling in Candace owen's book Blackout.I have fun talking on the phone with my son and my grandson.Also, a lot of alone time gives opportunity for increased prayer and Bible study. Life is challenging but beautiful.Love to all
(2)

"jacklynnendime,"

I've done the same thing with keeping those calendars and look through them to see what we've done - both good things and sad things.

I'm so sorry about you losing your husband of 72 (75) years and that today is the one year anniversary of his passing away. I hope you will do something nice for yourself in memory of him.

I just turned 58 last week but, my parent's were depression/WWII era. My mom is going to be 96 on Valentine's Day and if my dad were still alive, he'd be 98.

God bless you my dear lady and a pre-happy 92nd birthday to you! :)
(3)

Hi in regard to keeping a diary. You know all those little calender books we use to write down all our appointments well I have saved mine for the past 40 years! NO i am not a hoarder! But since this is the one year anniversary of my husband's death I looked back to remember all the good happy times we spent together. I also saved all the letters from 1945 and 1946 that he wrote me during WW11. I am reading them now it is helping me while I am all alone during this pandemic. I am going to be 92 next month we were together for 75 years and married for 72.
(7)

"jacobsonbob,"

Thanks for my first laugh of the morning - "my favorite leaf color is GREEN" - LOL!

The brief diary is a good idea - I used to do some journaling years ago, (probably more like decades) until my caregiving days began to take over.
It's especially great as both memories as well as our own ability to remember starts to fade. When we'd go on vacations and enjoy dinner at a nice restaurant, I would always write down what we ordered/ate - my husband would make fun of it. Now, especially since we aren't traveling or dining out, he appreciates it!
(1)

I can be counted among those who don't like winter, which is quite dreary and depressing where I'm living (and I plan to move to across the country, hopedly in 2021). I don't even care for autumn leaves--my favorite leaf color is GREEN. I like the late summer (such as late July to mid-September, depending on the location)--nature is reaching, or has reached, its "peak" for the year, with everything green and fruitful.

One thing that helps make any time of year less endless is keeping a brief diary. I make a note of where I went each day. Sometimes being able to refer back to this proves directly useful, other times I can "reminisce", and through it all I can see evidence that I DID get to do some interesting things during this time, even winter.
(1)

"newbiewife,"

Both my husband and I feel the same way when you said with the pandemic, there's nothing to look forward to - I've always been a firm believer that in order to avoid depression other than exercising, it's to have something to look forward to and sometimes the planning of it is just as much fun as the actual event!

It's pretty sad when we look forward to going to the dentist. I hadn't been to any doctors or the dentist this year as I wanted to keep myself safe but after the dental office called me a couple times, I finally succumbed. Now, I've made appointments with all my doctors so I guess I now have lots to look forward too!
(2)

I can understand and appreciate that doctor/dental visits can be enjoyable, assuming you have no serious issues or concerns in either case.
(0)

I hear you, newbie, I am looking forward to a 3 - 4 hour cleaning at the dental school today.
(0)

My daughter suffers from seasonal affective disorder (SAD) which sounds like your situation. She does better by eating healthy, getting outside more often, exercising, using an OTT light (available at craft stores and has same wavelength as daylight) and using essential oils. She is a social person but at those times of the year, she chooses her social situations carefully to keep stress in check.
(2)

I recall a photo of a sign asking "Can we reboot 2020? This year has a virus!"
(4)

If you like animals, and it's safe for you to do so, maybe volunteer at a local animal shelter. Exercising at home through "Silver Sneakers" is a good option if that's available to you. We have it through our Medicare Advantage policy. I haven't yet done it, but one of my friends swears by it. she says there's a nice social aspect too, because there's a chat feature for the live classes. they also have vdeo on-demand classes. https://tools.silversneakers.com/ Getting outside daily, as others have suggested, is a must. One of the things that most bothers me in these covid days is feeling as though there is nothing to look forward to--no travel, no holiday get-togethers, no lunches with friends. It's pretty pitiful, but my husband and I even look forward to going to the Dr. or dentist just to have some additional in-person human contact!
(7)

PeeWee,

Sounds lovely. I have been to the Smokies in the fall.
(0)

No need to go to New England for fall colors. The Blue Ridge Parkway in NC is exceptionally beautiful this year, from what I've seen. Keep it in mind for next year. 😊
(2)

AMEN! Nothing is more important!!!!!
(2)

Making time to sit outside for green time even if its just 30 minutes. Start reading again preferably inspirational or prayer books to lift your spirits. Call friends you think of often but rarely call. I have a small herb garden that I love to piddle in.
I love to cook especially soups. Learn one craft , utube is great for easy directions on crocheting. Last but not least purge a little each day in your home. Most of us have piles of something that can use organizing and cleaning.
(6)

Dear Sendhelp, Good for you to get off of FB. I never had an interest in joining that social media. My older sister and brother sent me invites years ago, but I never joined. I believe my 36 year old daughter is still involved with it. Too many crazies on there. If teenagers can bully a classmate into suicide on FB, something is very wrong with it. You were right to distance yourself from hurtful people if it was affecting your sanity and soul. My social media consists of reddit and this wonderful site. Sometimes reddit is a little nuts too, but there are better subs to read that are more normal for senior citizens. Enjoy your walks! ;>)
(1)

First of all set some realistic goals, things you’d like to do, things you need to do, or a little from both.
Second try looking at YouTube, more fun on your TV if you have access, mine is through Amazon’s Firestick. There is so much to learn, entertain you, etc.
i paid $20 for an annual subscription to Curiosity TV, so much there, it takes you away for armchair travel.
Read books that are motivational or religious, both can motivate and comfort.
Learn how to do something new, craft or language.
Set up a bird feeder that you can easily refill.
Find a nursing home or assisted living facility where you can send cards, one’s you’ve bought or made. So many lonely people.
Enter the world of genealogy, especially gather stories from your loved one and put them in a new journal, plenty available on Amazon or ebay.
I think the two most important things for me are: 1. Step outside every day, even if only long enough to just take a breath of fresh air. 2. Set goals so one day doesn’t simply drift into the next.
May we all emerge better people with the arrival of spring.
(5)

Many people find their mood improves when they lower their carbohydrates (sugars and starches). Be sure to get plenty of protein. Our protein needs go up as we age. (The recommended daily allowance for protein, which dates from WWII, is based on the minimum--not optimal--needed for survival.) Also be sure to consume healthy fats. The brain is about 60 % fat. Avoid seed oils (soybean, cottonseed, corn, etc.). Animal fat, butter, whole-fat yoghurt and cheese are great. Some people can tolerate raw nuts, seeds, and avocado.
(5)

Have never done FB. My kids do. I can’t keep up with all that stuff.

My daughter loves Instagram!
(2)

Another here who has never signed up for that and never will. Loved Betty White's take on it on SNL!

If it was able to stay as originally intended, great for others. Keep in touch with family and friends. Share pix, recipes, family news, etc. Now it's just a huge waste of time and the worst for spreading lies, conspiracies, hate, etc. Yes, other ways to spread all that but it seems like FB is the worst.
In addition to seeing no need for this 'tool' I watched a co-worker skimming through her feeds when she was supposed to be observing software test for QA. No interest in work at all!
Nope. No interest in any of those 'social media' tools... Guess that makes me anti-social!!!
(4)

Ordering my Sparkling Apple Cider for 'the shot' in advance.
(0)

Sounds fun!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter