Follow

It's not pretty, but realistic. The commentariat pretty much horrified by reality. I am thankful NYT didn't dress this up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/02/nyregion/home-health-aide.html

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Marjorie counts out six almonds because Bob's a diabetic, yet she gives him orange juice and a big plateful of pasta?
(0)

The article is heartbreaking & spot on! It totally describes my life as caregiver for my spouse. There has to be better pay, support & benefits for hired caregivers!!! Without meaningful reform, our country will be overwhelmed by the care required for the aging baby boomer population.
(0)

Thanks, Segoline. I had seen that article posted on the NYT website but hadn't had a chance to read it. Wow. It's very powerful to read the in-depth description of Marjorie's day, the exhaustion and lack of sleep, lack of support, and the extent to which she is totally taken advantage of by the system and blatantly denied protections other sorts of workers have. She's a saint, and the system using her to make a profit is evil. Also, I have to think poor Bob in his right mind wouldn't want another person mistreated for the sake of helping him "age in place". I know I sure wouldn't. Put me in the dreariest county home before you deny a worker caring for me their rightful pay for the correct number of hours they have worked that day.

I hope this article results in more attention paid to abused, low income in-home caregivers.
(1)

* did NOT dress this up.,I ran out of characters, I guess.
(0)

I am thankful to commenter who quoted from a book, whose title I can't recall right now.

" once the caregiving is over, you don't have freedom. You do have grief." So very true.

I have been taking a break from this forum because I needed to do so. But if I find something interesting,I will post it. I am holding all of you in my heart and wish you strength.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter