Follow

Hi Everyone... what are your favorite hobbies or things you like to do when you get some "Me" time. I'll go first.

From my prior posts y'all have probably gathered I am a digital animal portrait artist and illustrator. I also crochet, do wood carving and clay sculpture, love to work jigsaw puzzles and just kick back. Used to ride horses but no time now nor much time to do most of my other hobbies now but am still heavily into my painting and do jigsaw puzzles on line. (Have learned I need some me time so have worked it into the schedule...smile). My honey and puppies still are number one priorities, but I still eek out time for painting....smile

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
thank you for your ideas. i guess my biggest thing is catching up with my aa friends by going to a meeting. also reading everyone posts here give me hope.
(2)

Snoopy-will have to try the pillow spray. You sound quite crafty as well. With the oils, that is neat to me.
Have you tried anything with Rosemary or Basil. I have an abundance from my garden that I have been doing hair rinses and face toners. thinking of soap or something. But extracting the oils for sprays might be interesting? i dunno, we;ll see. I have a lot of it.
(1)

Quilting and gardening! One satisfies my creative streak, the other gets me outside for exercise and sunshine.
(4)

Snoopy... you said you don't have great close up vision. Have you tried "cheaters" (over the counter reading glasses). My honey and I both use them. I have them for reading and any close up work as well as a different strength for when I am working on the computer. I had to change strengths due to the "film" I am getting on my vision, but they have worked since I had my cataract surgery in 2012. Just a thought....smile
(1)

Read
Cook
Read
Bake
Participate in online discussion
Read
Do online jigsaws
Read
Attend book club discussions
Read
(I attended a book club the entire time I was a caregiver. Having someone stay with my honey for that time slot was a priority. Now that I am no longer a caregiver, I belong to three book clubs!)
(5)

Smeshque, it does actually help settle me down at night and put me in "sleep mode"! Lavender is apparently scientifically proven to have mildly sedating effects, and I just love the rich aroma of frankincense along with it. There are lots of recipes for pillow sprays on the internet, and that combo just appealed to me.

I have to say I envy people who knit or crochet. I don't have great up-close eyesight and never really learned. But I treasure the bed slippers and scarves and other things I've been given over the years by crafty folks like yourself! One friend of mine makes baby blankets and new baby Christmas stockings that have to be seen to be believed!
(4)

Cwillie- lap blankets? For hospice patients or NH's? Much needed.

Snoopy I am fascinated by the pillow spray with lavender and frankincense. Sounds like relaxing aromas.
(1)

I'm another pogo scrabble fan, I'll be lost when it is gone :( I haven't been able to find anything to replace it - I'd even be willing to pay! I also spend a lot of time playing spider solitaire and of course checking AgingCare.

Frazzled mentioned reading - I've never considered that a hobby, it is more an essential, like breathing. I read every night but I seldom read during the day.

All the arts and crafts that used to entertain me seem pretty pointless, nobody needs another afghan or doily or fad of the moment geegaw.
(2)

Besides hiking and reading (especially out in a chair in the yard in a sunny spot), lately I've been getting into using essential oils for things. So now I mix up all of our liquid hand soap with different blends of oils for a kind of "mini-spa" moment when I'm washing my hands, and also relaxing pillow sprays with lavender and frankincense, air freshener with eucalyptus and tea tree oil, etc. It's a fun new hobby for me. I've bought the oils gradually, here and there as I've seen them on sale preferably, so it hasn't been too expensive.
(2)

Freqflyer.. thanks for the information. That is what I am going to ask for, for my birthday. Don't usually ask for anything but am this year. Not sure how many years I have left so would like to know.
(2)

Well, I enjoy reading and studying the Bible.
I also crochet, and sew. I enjoy recycling fabric to give it new life as something else. Have been selling handbags at the Framers market, so I guess people like them. I garden.
And we play scrabble every night after our praise time, using only words from the Bible. It makes it more challenging. When my Dad was alive, he loved playing rook(card game), so we'd play everynight. Now Mom enjoys scrabble.
you need four to play rook :(
(2)

Dusti22, oh the DNA test is quite interesting when the results come back. For mine, it was pretty much what I had thought, but there was one area of the world that was a "say what???" moment, so I am still trying to figure that one out. Probably from my Mom's side of the family where I had pretty much stalled out and can't go any further than my grandparents, it's like everyone older had disappeared. I may pay Ancestry.com to search for me.

My Dad's side, I pretty much aced it :)) My Dad gave me a good foundation to work with as he had started his family tree decades ago, back when one had to step into a Court House and dig through records. And jog old relatives memories for information.

Ancestry.com is really filled with a lot of information. It's quite a learning curve. I must have gone through a box of copy paper and I don't know how many ink cartilages until I finally found the format I was comfortable with.

I am also a member of Newspapers.com which has been interesting. And the free FindAGrave.com website is only as good as the people who have placed information on it and photos of headstones. I found headstones gave me good information.
(2)

Oh, man, I wish I could relax enough to do something I actually enjoy, like read, or sunbathe, or write letters. I've been spending my down time surfing the internet for news, and it's actually adding to my stress. I vow every morning to stay off the computer for a day, and I always end up back there reading all the bad news.
(3)

I play on pogo.com for scrabble. I don't pay, but it makes you listen to (intermission) commercials. I don't mind, I just jump up and do a quick "whatever."
I am on my desktop, but idk what 'go to store' is? ill check pogo for jigsaw puzzle. since they are removing the scrabble game soon. thx
(2)

Hi Wally, Cdn, Freqflyer

Wally... if you are on a desktop computer go to store and then to the free games. They have quite a few and you can type in the type you are looking for. I never was able to find an online Scrabble which I love to play. I posted the jigsaw puzzle game that I have found that so far is the best that I have found.

Cdn...thanks..thought everyone would enjoy something kind of light hearted. Plus we can share ideas for "Me" time. ….smile. Surfing and shopping online are both fun. I rarely walk into a store anymore and our grocery store offers order online and pick up at store.

Freqflyer...that is so fascinating. I want to have one of the dna tests done as I am adopted. My Mom said I was 1/2 Irish and 1/2 French. Would love to be able to trace my birth ancestry, though I have started tracing my adoptive family's tree. I am far from an expert though. (way far...smile)

Y'all all that that y'all have shown sound like great ways to relax and enjoy "me" time. Smile.
(2)

I love to read...it's relaxing just to sit in my chair with a good book.

I also like to do jigsaw puzzles and watch Youtube or read blogs. I sell vintage and storage items on eBay and other platforms so I like to work on that in my down time too. It's my work but it's fun for me.

I love a good concert too, but it's been awhile since I've been to one.
(2)

Hi... for those who like online jigsaw puzzles the best one I have found is Jigsaw Planet. jigsawplanet.com. Just an idea. There are others...this just seems the most interactive.
(2)

The past year I have been climbing up the family tree... shaking a few branches to see who is related to whom. It's become like a second job as back on my Dad's side of the family, it wasn't unusual to have 8 to 14 children in the late 1700's and 1800's... and those children having 6 to 10 children. Many were farmers, so if they needed another farm hand, they created one :)

It is so interesting seeing the U.S. Census from the 1800's and early 1900's. So many of my relatives didn't even go to school. In fact, the very old census's would ask if they can read or write. Later down the line with the early 1900's census, it would ask the husband's occupation, but not the wife's. By the 1940 census, the woman was finally asked her occupation.

Another thing I noticed, a brother and sister [great-great uncle and aunt] back in the early 1900's, both had degrees in chemistry. The brother worked in a corporation working his way up the ladder to VP. His sister, same amount of education, she was limited to being a school teacher, and if she got married she would had to quit.

We've come a long ways, baby.
(2)

Hi Dusti,

Thanks for the starting the thread. I guess that has been my problem for a long time. I don't know what to do for myself.

I love to surf the internet and watch YouTube videos. Other times its mostly shopping for clothes and toys for my nieces and nephews.

I hope this thread can give me more ideas about what to outside of the home.
(1)

hmm jigsaw puzzle online? I love a scrabble game online, but I think they will be taking the game down by end of July. I love playing regular scrabble if I can get someone to play with me.
I love fabric. im drawn to fabric. old fabric, new fabric, old clothes fabric. love the look of an improv quilt. so I like getting away to my old singer. my sewing room is a mess. I don't consider myself to have very much talent or imagination...but I KEEP TRYING. I have lots of craft books too. I love re-reading a craft book or craft magazine.

I love scary movies. and like to watch Walking Dead. also liked the series American Horror Story (didn't like ALL the stories so much) plus Stranger Things - oh and penny dreadful
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter