Follow

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/09/magazine/dementia-mother.html

The article is titled "A Story of Dementia: The Mother Who Changed."

Long but interesting article about a woman with dementia who takes up with a new man, isolates herself from her adult children, dissolves a long-standing financial trust, etc. But she's "happy" ...

The subtitle triggered me a bit: "A bitter family dispute hinged on an impossible question: When cognitive decline changes people, should we respect their new desires?" My initial response was, "He11 no!" -- but the article does raise important issues.

There is discussion about the current state of the law about determining how and when someone is mentally incompetent and to what extent. No surprise that lawyers are very interested in exploring this topic, both intellectually and professionally.

(Note: if you cannot access the free article, try Googling from a different device or browser.)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
If you can't access the article, download the Pocket app on your phone, upload the article to Pocket, and read it there.
(1)

Thank you for posting this, I did read this last week, and thought about mentioning it here but couldn't find the right words to summarize it. I'm not sure who the villain(s) is/are in this story, but one thing is for sure, the lawyers end up with a lot of money.
(2)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter