Follow

Whoosh. I just spent a week in MD touring assisted living facilities, then packing up Dad's old apartment and then setting up his new room in AL, starting the application for VA aid and assistance to help pay for this, and TRYING to get a read on his mental and physical health despite the rehab's total lack of communication. I can't believe that I pulled this off - props to A Place For Mom who came through with a couple of affordable suggestions after I had a place picked out that didn't feel totally right... As much as I hated the rehabilitation facility where Dad was - mostly because they just never gave updates or often didn't even answer the phone - he did get excellent PT and cognitive therapy, and is back to where he was before the fall, walking on his own and mentally lucid. He likes his new place (he BETTER) and so far seems to be ok with no alcohol, although I expect that will change. After rehab he is completely physically detoxed but he's been a binge drinker for decades so ... we will see. The AL serves one beer or one wine at lunch and dinner and all of his friends and family are united in not enabling him, bringing in wine, or even discussing drinking. I am cautiously optimistic that he will enjoy the social life at AL and this will be a major distraction for some time - also the joy of not being in "prison" as he called rehab! I hope the good news continues, and now I'm back at home (and work!) I can take a deep breath and relax!!!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
That's a great suggestion. Thank you!
(0)

What wonderful news, Lisa. Thanks for the update.
(1)

Well done!

Praying for a successful integration for dad.
(1)

A great update.

I do caution the drink at lunch or dinner. That could be enough to set him off. Do they offer non alcoholic options?
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter