Follow

I have decided to step away. I am emotionally and physically drained. I sent my sister a very long text explaining the course of her illness from day one. I also told her I doubt that mom even knows the name of the new antipsychotic medication that was prescribed during her psychiatric stay prior to the third surgery. Her son made a very poor decision but taking her home. Who even knows what medications she has at home. She was still in a wheelchair when she left the facility. Only just starting to ambulate with a walker two days before. It's sad to say and I pray God understands. But I cannot help her anymore. I have to think of my own health, job, family and how this as even affected my marriage in many ways.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Now that I think of it, stepping away may feel like "failure" or grief, understandable. And the flip side of that is....reliefe. It's done, it's over, all the stress has begun to flow away. Totally normal. I went through that when my Mom died (in hospice, in my home) and.....it's ok. This is part of the process, given the burdens of caregiving, the natural progression to your own healing.
(2)

Protecting your own health and well being is never wrong. I wish you peace
(4)

Well done!
(4)

You can not help her anymore. Yes, think of your health, job, family and marriage. Logical, rational, thought out, adult response to your very difficult situation. Excellent. Here's to better days ahead for you!
(3)

Tajann, not sure you saw my earlier post on another thread. "I have been advised by my lawyer to step away from my mother's affairs".

In situations where someone threatens to sue you for interference, this is standard advice. IaNAL.

You say this to EMS, sis, police, hospital, rehab...anyone who calls.
(4)

Thanks for the update. You have done the best that you can.
That is all ANY caregiver can do.
(6)

You've made the right choice. There's not really a thing you could do given the circumstances.
(5)

Tajann, you have done your duty.

Let the chips fall where they will. Yout mom is regarded as competent in the eyes of the law; it's time to let her figure this out on her own, or with the help of folks other than you.
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter