Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Happy Anniversary!

Glad you are healing and making progress in the planning for the next stage of your lives together.
(1)

Midkid58: Please take it easy. Happy 45th Anniversary.💞
(0)

Things are progressing, well, I think. I took a HUGE fall off my scooter on Sunday, coming out of church b/c I had taken the basket off the scooter and so I was holding my cell phone and couldn't hit the brake 'gently'. Went a** over teakettle and I imsgine it looked scary, but I appear to only being a little banged up. DH was the only witness (THANK GOODNESS!!) and he made me stay down all day. I'm bruised pretty bad, but the foot seems to be fine. No extra pain or anything. One week from tomorrow and I get the 'all clear' to start PT and I HOPE ditch this scooter. I am already doing some very gentle range of motion exercises--and I know this foot will always hurt a little....but it already feels better than it did pre-surgery.

I have appreciated the prayers and kind thoughts! As hard as this has been (and the hardest thing, aside from patiently sitting in bed, reading or bingewatching terrible TV) is that I had to let go of my garden and just let it die. We've had incredibly hot summer and there just was no way to keep things adequately watered. No one's fault, just something that couldn't be helped.

Someone made a comment on how tired they still are 6 months post-op and I find that to be the case with me. I am so tired by 2pm I HAVE to had a little nap. I mentioned this to the doc and he said that was completely normal and to give in to it, as I am not working and can take that time.

This is the first time in my life I have EVER just taken care of me and it's weird beyond measure! I've takne care of DH many, many, many times and this is the first time he's stepped up and really been the man I knew was buried down there. I truly think my kids had a 'come to Jesus meeting' with him. He's NEVER been this concerned about me and it's a tad disconcerting, but I am enjoying it.

And, frankly, retirement looms and he will be stepping up. For good. This has been a good trial run.
(3)

Midkid58: Oh, no! Please take care.🧡
(0)

LLamalover--

Yeah, that was a big wakeup call. I am not the most coordinated person and proved it to myself on Sunday. I am bruised all over, but feel better today. Gonna take it easier :) I am not doing the 'layabout' thing well.
(1)

Just a while longer, Mid.

You will be grateful that you took the time to let yourself heal.

If your foot gets banged up, or isn’t given enough time, all of your efforts, and that of your hubby, will have been in vain.

Best wishes to ya!
(0)

That sounds like a bad fall, I'm glad the results weren't worse. In a way, it might have been nice if some of those church folks had seen your fall, maybe some assistance might have been offered at home or with meals or yard work or something.
(0)

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery, Midkid. I pray to God that you feel better through each passing day. Hope you resume your normal life soon.
(1)

Midkid58: Hope you're feeling better today.
(1)

Thanks to all of you---

I've had plenty of help from my church family and personally was glad that nobody saw me biff it off the scooter. I'm sore, but today feel much better. My foot seems to have not suffered one bit--thank goodness! I had the presence of mind to 'roll' into the fall, so it's my shoulder and wrist. Dh had to leave for a long business trip and he was very concerned and sweet and did all he could to make sure I'd be OK while he was gone. I have my niece coming to clean today, going out with daughter tomorrow and will keep busy with my Angel Gowns project.

I do look forward to walking normally again, once reason I scheduled this surgery in the summer was so that by winter I'd be stable. I live in Utah and we have some pretty amazing snowstorms!

It's been 6 weeks today since the surgery and I am doing well, I think. I see the doc next week and will begin PT. I am old enough to know that I am still probably months away from totally being healed, but I am so glad that the constant pain from the break is now replaced by that bone-deep surgical pain that is very different.

I've appreciated your kindness so much!
(4)

Just a little comment on the laundry issue. Many years ago my husband routinely changed the oil for his car. For some unknown reason this specific time he put the old oil in an empty large detergent bottle. Then he left that bottle near the garage entrance which also led to the washer and dryer. I proceeded to do a load of wash thinking that there was detergent in said bottle. You can only imagine the disaster.

Our eldest at the time was a new teenager and most of the load had her clothes in it. Yes,DISASTER. To his credit he worked hard to remove oil from many articles of her clothing with some sort of solvent meant for this but too many were beyond help. She now had a real reason to be ornery. Anyway I just thought I would share this calamity when I read your post. It can be a bitter pill to swallow but hopefully those shirts can be replaced. My daughter had discovered vintage "cool" clothing that was one of a kind. That might have been the last time he changed his oil.
(2)

He's still embarassed by the bleach thing.

He spills on himself every single meal--partly b/c he is a TALL man and it's a long way from table to mouth. I have been pre-treating ALL of his shirt fronts for YEARS and he never knew it. Now he does. He went out a bought a little container of 'oil stain spray' that he keeps in the kitchen and one big one for the laundry.

Being down has been a long haul--but he's learned SO MUCH. I taught all 4 of my girls and my son the same life skills: cooking, cleaning, laundry, car care, yard care, meal prep & shopping. Turns out my son is a better homemaker than his wife. Like my daddy used to say "It's not men's work and not women's work, it's just work and it better get done."
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter