Follow

Why are we updating AgingCare? In short, keeping our website up to date is the most important thing we can do to support family caregivers. We know change is difficult, so this redesign is not a decision we came to lightly. AgingCare is proud to have built a base of over 3,000 articles; 500,000 questions; and over 2 million users each month. The best way to stay the most actively used caregiving resource in the market is to better reflect our brand and values throughout our site. Our company has evolved and grown, and we want our site to reflect that. Our core values guided our new design. AgingCare’s purpose is to partner with caregivers in finding answers, resources, and support. We are excited to launch a redesign that focuses on that purpose.

Once you are logged in to your AgingCare account, the ability to toggle back and forth between the New AgingCare and Classic AgingCare will appear below the header. We encourage you to try it. AgingCare has a whole new look. Although we know it will take some adjustment, we truly believe we’ve made some great improvements.

Better Topic Navigation: Topic Tags have been introduced to more specifically identify and organize content. Tags can be found on articles, questions, and comments. Each tag can be clicked to navigate directly to all content identified with that topic.

Content List (Caregiving Glossary): Navigation to caregiving topics is available through the use of the individual tags, the new grey topic bar, the drop down menu button, or by browsing the caregiving glossary found in the footer.

Functions in the New Navigation Header: The Menu button provides access to the Caregiver Forum, caregiver resources, and a topic list. The AgingCare logo always acts as a return to the home page. The question mark icon is a quick jump to the Caregiver Forum. The search bar is always present to search AgingCare by keyword.

Your avatar (circle in the top right) provides dropdown access to your profile, newsfeed, activity, settings and logout. You can customize your avatar or add your favorite picture by going to Profile and clicking on the camera button to upload a picture. Once you have logged in, your avatar becomes the access point for your member tools.

Profile: Your public profile is the view other members see when they click your username.

Newsfeed: Your news feed lets you easily see new activity by members and elder care experts on the articles, discussions and questions that you are following.

Activity: Your activity page lets you easily see all of the posts you have made on articles, questions, and discussions as well as the messages you have sent.

Settings: Your settings is where you make changes to your account, including what you would like other member’s to be able to see on your public profile.

Logout: A more convenient location to log out of the site after use.

The Caregiver Forum functions in the same way it always has. Questions and discussions are presented by default in the most recent order and can still be sorted by recent and popular. We’ve added new features to the forum’s functionality.

"Needs answers" is a separate slider and sort function so that once logged in, our most dedicated members can easily find other members in need of advice.

"Closed topic" is now presented on any question or discussion that has been inactive for 180 days. The question/discussion will be closed to new answers or comments. The threads will remain fully available to read for past advice and informational purposes.

"Reply" is a feature that allows a member to reply directly to another member regarding an answer they have provided. This feature is intended to allow answers to the original question to stay on topic while still allowing interaction between members participating in direct “conversation.”

The entire AgingCare team has been working hard on these changes, and we sincerely appreciate your patience and feedback as we iron out the details. After some initial adjustment, we hope you will find the new design as exciting as we do. Feel free to use the link to leave feedback to let us know your thoughts.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I’d like to see less spam.

seems like “a place for mom” is allowed to spam us with advertisements for their services. It’s a shame these ads are posted by posters with the “expert” designation.
(0)

One thing AC has said they will add to profile is an option for former caregiver. Then how long were you a caregiver? Status of person you cared for? Alive or passed or now in a facility? Seems the closest they can come is an option of "Other". Hmmm.

Never mind, "other" option is for where they are living. Passed s not an option.
(1)

I just checked the questions asked in the Profile because I noticed people were saying they were caring for mother and the mother was 19 years old.

Ah ha, now I see why this is happening. Profile asks for a date of birth. Well, the writer puts in their own date of birth instead of the person for whom they are caring. Same with asking for a first name. Does the website what the writer's first name, or the name of the person for whom they are caring.

Also, need to add mother-in-law and father-in-law as a choice to the list of people one is caring.
(2)

Some suggestions

When someone joins they can't post until they give some background.
Age of loved one would help. Dementia/ALZ or not. Age related is not Dementia.

A way of contacting you to stop a post. We can report a reply but not the original post.

It was said when we went to the new format that the old posts would stay up for the info but you would stop them from being posted to. There are a few still coming up recently that have thousands of posts.
(1)

I also have problems trying to find a certain article. Now I need to go to CARE TOPICS [see blue/green bar at the top of your screen]. Then I need to think what "subject" is that question under. Lot of roaming involved :P

But I do like this website format better then the new & improved one of a few months ago. This is more like the old tried and true format that I know and love.
(2)

I always thought the site search was pretty dismal. It would be nice to be able to narrow the search to just articles if that is what you are looking for and to have the answers in some kind of chronological order. Sometimes when I can't find something I know I've read on the forum I have better luck using google - I just add agingcare to my search parameters.
(2)

Searches for specific questions are very frustrating. There is no rhyme or reason to results. For example I just searched for questions related to best cell phones. Several pages of hits in no particular order. I just found out about a new phone product that is a watch with a GPS locator. Want to let others know about it but where?

Many often hit results are so old they are not even open to a additional posts any longer.
(2)

I think I just assumed that changes were made to accommodate the fact that many - most? - people are using hand held devices to surf the web nowadays. If the changes aren't compatible with that reality then I really can't see the point, if the changes in fact make reading on a phone or tablet more difficult then you have to wonder if AgingCare's tech and development departments have totally lost touch.
(4)

I don't know who says the new site is compatible with smartphones, but it surely is not.

Everything is too small to see. It seems there's too much stuff squished in on the screen at once. It's terrible to tap on these small options, even using my stylis.

My screen is 6". The very top has the website. Below that has the AC header, below that has one question with a bit of the next question next to it. Horizontally of course. Below that has the answer bubble an the profile pic and name of the first or last commenter. I know that order can be changed. Under that is a another horizontal scrolling bar with topics, some articles and advertising.

Mind you this is only halfway down my screen. So all this is on a 3x2.5 screen. I don't even remember what the bottom half of the screen consists of.

My point is, there is way too much going on, when a smartphone is used. So how in the world was this geared towards these devices?

There is barely any contrast. Seeing anything is a horrible strain.

I'm going back in to see what the bottom 3" has going on.

I doubt these issues will be changed, but I had to explain my struggles with it. 
Ty
(0)

One good thing is that I get some exercise trying to read my News Feed on the new site. I have to lean forward to read the name of the poster and when the answer was posted. Then I have to lean back and sit up straight to read the post.

At least it's given me a chance to exercise while I read.

But that light turquoise print is too hard on the eyes; it's beautiful, reminds me of a tropical, sea, but it's not appropriate for reading, especially against the glare of far too much white space.
(1)

Hm, that might explain why some avatars are blank in the new site.
I'm still switching between old and new to get the best features from each.

Something weird that I've noticed is that my spell check is very inconsistent on the new site 🤔
(1)

I have started having issues with uploading new avatars. The size limitation by AC is reasonable at 5mb. I have tried a couple under 5mb but they either are blurred if uploaded, or will not upload, receive an error, that the pic must be less than 5mb, which they are. What's up?
(1)

Ok, time to have my dH give the new website a once-over.
He was experienced in website development (unpaid) and continues to be a self-taught techie.
Wondering if I will have to beg him....
(1)

I've found that it's hard on my eyes - too much scrolling.
(1)

Wish I had a teenager in the house to show me around the new website when it is the only format that one can use :P

I use to be really good at diving into a new website and learning every corner of it, but as I get older, I just cannot focus like I use to :(
(2)

Hi all,
Thanks for your recent comments and questions regarding the move toward the new AgingCare. We are on track to transition to the new site soon, and as we go we have been making updates to include your feedback. We anticipated making the full transition to the new site this week, so we disabled the "toggle" to the preview site. Many of you have requested we bring it back, so we are working right now on reinstating that feature while we finish the transition. Each week ends with updates to address issues you all have found. It is really important to continue to let us know if you find any "bugs" related to our updates. Until the toggle can be pushed back into production the new site is alive and well at
https://preview.agingcare.com
See you there soon ;-)
(2)

Cwillie,
You might have just had the last word on the new website.
But the offer to visit the new website has been removed.
Where'd it go?
(2)

Since this has come to the top again I'll mention two things I dislike about the new site:

1 When you read the list of topics on the forum page from left to right the last question/comment is always cut in half, first missing the right side and then the left so reading it is a pita

2 The news feed doesn't tell you how many new comments there have been so you need to visit each thread to check that you aren't missing something.
(2)

As I said in a prior post, but one thing I noticed when I went into it a few minutes ago is that responses and some full posts are missing. It does not appear that if you respond or ask a question in classic view it does not migrate to the New Aging Care site and vice-versa. Otherwise it is great.
(1)

cdnreader, I am hoping some time late next year :)
(2)

Dear all,

I'm still clinging to the old site. But good question cwillie, I, too, wonder when the old site will be no longer.
(4)

Good suggestions, Jeanne.
(0)

I just switched over to the new site from the old and I was already signed in, that was nice!
Does anybody know how much longer it will be until the old site is closed down?
(1)

I love the new site!

I appreciate the ability to sort the responses.
I like being able to reply to a specific response.
I'm totally glad that very old threads are available to read but closed to comments.
I'm happy that the Search feature is obvious.

I'm using the new format all the time now, except sometimes going to the old format to see if there is data "about" a new poster that isn't showing up in the new format yet. Sometimes there is. I assume (hope) this will be remedied when there are no longer 2 versions of the site.

I would also like a "former caregiver" designation. AND I would like to know what country a poster is in. Giving advice about Medicaid to someone in India is a waste of their time and ours!

Thanks for the updates!
(3)

Or even the ability to upload a hug avatar of our choosing.
(5)

bookluvr
about an hour ago
I was just posting a message on Dori's wall. I was staring at the HUG avatars. Wouldn't it be great if the AC people can come up with an avatar that has a cartoon figure or an animal snoozing with the 'zzzzz' written around it? Then we can send exhausted caregivers this Sleeping Hug that we wish they would get the zzzzs (sleeps)?
(3)

Just logged in to the new AgingCare. Think I am really going to like it and will be going to it from now on (I think). Does anyone know when it goes solo and classic view closes for good?
(0)

Ahhhh! Book, figured it out! Google is a wonderful tool. The new kindle fires have a setting called adaptive brightness. It defaults to on, how silly is that! So I have now disabled that function and I will bet that the dimming and brightening now stop. I wonder how many fires have been returned for the same reason😀. You would think that Amazon prior to authorizing a return on a fire would have the owner check this setting that is new with this release.
(2)

Thank you, Book. I also have a 2016 version that does not have the issue. Had to replace it because it does not hold a charge for more than a few hours.
(0)

Glad, I took out my Kindle to test it on this site. No brightness n dimming issues. It's holding steady in both AC sites. My kindle is 2016 HD8 version. I'll also check the other kindle that's recharging. (I use 2 kindles in order to enjoy uninterrupted e-reading while the other one is charging.)
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter