Follow

As many of us care for elders who would appreciate all the wonderful elements of the parade (flowers! horses! marching bands!) as well as appreciating them ourselves, consider this your DVR reminder!

In my area the parade will be broadcast on a few different channels but I am recording a broadcast with Leeza Gibbons hosting. I seem to recall her co-hosting the parade back in 2020 (the 2021 parade was canceled of course) and finding her presentation enthusiastic and informed yet low-key and non-idiotic. Hoping this is the case again this year.

Enjoy and Happy New Year!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Yes, the air was so poisonous when I was growing up that we'd have "smog days" at school -- no outside recess, no running allowed, and we were told to go straight home after school and not to go outside. We couldn't see the mountains, and at that time I lived in the foothills in Altadena.

Now I live about 35 miles from the mountains, and they're crystal clear. It's a big change from the 1960s-1970s of my youth. We had a lot of rain last week, so the mountains are clear and covered in snow, just in time for the parade and national TV! :-)

Yes, the Rose Court girls are beautiful, but in my day (late 1970s), you just had to be pretty enough (and have flaws they could fix with a good haircut) and have a nice personality. Now they want you to have cured cancer as a high school senior! My niece tried out two years ago, and she's in that category, but even she didn't get part the second round of tryouts. I'd have been doomed.
(2)

Watching a replay of The Rose Parade. Can be seen on KTLA, Chanel 5.
Brings back good memories.

MJ my son was born there also.
My brother lives there now.
There was a time that the air pollution was so bad there, it was making me ill.
I think the air has cleared in Pasadena, especially today. (Every year the parade is beautiful.)

Sorry the Utes did not prevail Midkid. Made a good effort!

Snoopy, the mini therapy horses were so cute, I want one. I loved it when they jumped up.
(2)

What a great parade! My favorite was the darling mini therapy horses. Not too crazy about the musical acts except the closing country music-themed one. I liked the marching band made up entirely of band directors. My dad was happily entertained by it all.

I thought Leeza and cohost Mark did a nice job.

Will watch the game later today.
(1)

Thank you! Yes, I had forgotten about the parade until an hour in but Mom and I both enjoyed watching the last hour. It's something we always enjoyed every year.
(1)

MJ, I went to UC Riverside my first year of college, and we'd go to Pasadena. Without further ado, anyone who even tried out for a spot was like impossibly attractive.

I'm watching the game on ESPN. It's fun just as I thought, with the Utes underdog being up two scores at the moment. OMG, now Ohio State lost the ball 10 yards from the end zone, recovered by Utes! You almost never see those kinds of plays in NFL.
(1)

Sendhelp, I'm a San Marino girl, born at the Huntington Hospital. I'm in OC now for a bit longer, then I'm leaving California once and for all.

I love the tradition of the Rose Parade and all the memories of it over the years. I still secretly wish I'd made it onto the court, but I was just too dorky at that time in my life to have had a chance! ;-)
(2)

The storm left us sunshine today, and it won't be back. Expect sun, but a bit cold for Southern California. Nice!

Watching on T.V., not gathering in crowds until the pandemic is in the past.

MJ, You sound like a proud Pasadena resident. I grew up there, went to the parade every year, then took my son, e v e r y y e a r! Those mountains are beauiful. I no longer live in Pasadena.
(1)

I grew up in Rose Parade country. When I was growing up, it was my elderly neighbor's greatest wish that I make it onto the Rose Court as a princess or Queen. It was 105° the day of the tryouts once I was in high school, so I chose to pass on wearing pantyhose and trying to look cute. I didn't have a snowball's chance of being picked out of 1500 contestants, so no great loss. However, one of my classmates was a princess, and another was chosen as queen, so I was happy. (The neighbor had died long since.)

The entire Tournament of Roses organization is amazing, and the work those volunteers do all year is truly admirable.

Watch the parade tomorrow and know that I'm looking at those same spectacular snow-covered mountains out my window! We had them painted with snow this week just for you! :-)
(1)

My DH and my son and SIL are in Pasadena right now to go to the game. Avid Utes fans here!!

They drove through a blizzard for about 100 miles last night. I guess they made it cause I haven't heard otherwise!!

Watch Britain Covey and Tavion Thomas--they're both awesome players. The UTES are so psyched for this game. We've been to bowl games but never the Granddaddy of bowls! When Utah beat the Ducks and were PAC 12 champs, and we realized that we'd be in the Rose Bowl, I texted my son and said "YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR DAD TO THIS!!"

Weather here in Utah is awful right now. Son flew in from Seattle and the plane was just approching the runway and the pilot pulled up and took them to Grand Junction for re-fueling. I can't imagine being the pilot who had to tell all those U fans that they were going to Grand Junction 'for a little bit'. Crazy.
(2)

Watching the Rose Bowl with my Stepson. He played for OSU for 3 years and went to OSU fir medical school.
(2)

Thanks for those helpful football “quick tips”! Yes, the game should be good too and as I recall there is a bit of pageantry involved in it as well. Weather tomorrow for Pasadena looks perfect!
(1)

Plus don't forget the game. Utes (ranked 11) vs. Ohio State (ranked 5). It's possible even if you don't understand football to get into a game as fun as this one, and football itself is pretty easy to understand at a basic level: Each team gets the ball for three full tries to put it in the end zone. If they can't, they will kick the ball to the other team or bring on someone who can kick it through the uprights.

I keep up on AL calendars, and more than one of them has some person explaining football so that people can feel more invested in enjoying the game. If you only understand a tiny bit, you can still enjoy football.

Go Utes as they're pac-12.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter