Follow

This Improved Pension, known as A&A, allows for Veterans and surviving spouses who need another person to assist them with eating, bathing, dressing, undressing, medication dosing, etc. to receive additional monetary benefits. This benefit includes vets who are cared for at home, in a nursing home or assisted living facility.

A veteran could be eligible for up to $1,632 per month. To qualify, the veteran's doctor must verify that the veteran requires daily assistance by others to dress, undress, bathe, eat, take on or off prosthetics, etc.

Getting the Aid and Attendance benefit to pay for family caregivers is not an easy task. There must be a caregiver contract in place and services for care must be initiated and thoroughly documented before application can be made. Caregivers may wish to seek help from a lawyer who specializes in VA benefits to get the contract in place.

I'M POSTING THIS BECAUSE SHE DOESN'T QUALIFY YET. MOM CAN STILL DRESS HERSELF, FEED HERSELF, BATH (ONCE A WEEK), WRITE CHECKS, BUT HAVE TO MAKE SURE SHE DID IT'S RIGHT. SOMETIMES IT IS SOMEETIMES IT'S NOT. BUT SHE CAN'T COOK, WASH CLOTHES, GROCERY SHOP, CLEAN THE HOUSE, KEEP CLEAN, WEARS THE SAME CLOTHES EVERYDAY UNTIL I TAKE THEM AWAY AND WASH THEM. CAN'T KEEP HER MEDS RIGHT, SO I GOT A PILL THAT HOLDS A WEEKS WORTH. CAN'T WALK WELL, BALANCE NOT WELL, DEMENTIA. TELLS ME THE SAME STORIES EVERYDAY. I CAN GO ON AND ON. BUT SHE'S DOESN'T QUALIFY FOR BENFITS. SHE'S LIVING WITH MY HUSBAND AND ME. SHE CAN'T REALLY CARRY ON A CONVERSATION. BUT SHE SEEMS SO NORMAL SOMETIMES. I'M REALLY STARTING TO RESENT HER. I HAVE NO LIFE AND CAN'T FIND ANYTHING TO SAY TO HER ANYMORE, WHEN I DO SHE GOES BACK TO TALKING ABOUT HERSELF AND THE OLD STORIES THAT CHANGE A LITTLE. I CAN LEAVE HER A COUPLE HOURS. MY BROTHER'S TAKE HER A WEEK OR TWO DURING THE YEAR. I FEEL ALONE, UNLOVED, LOST. SHE NEVER TELLS ME SHE LOVES ME, BUT SHE DOES TO MY 2 BROTHERS, WHO DON'T SEE HER OFTEN OTHER THAN THE 2 WEEKS DURING THE YEAR. I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN GO BACK TO WORK WHEN SHE PASSES. I'VE LOST ALL JOB EXPERIENCE FROM WHEN I WAS WORKING. AFTER 2 1/2 YRS I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN HANDLE WORKING. I'M 58 YRS OLD. NOT READY FOR SS. I DON'T KNOW IF I CAN GO BACK TO LIFE BEFORE MOM. DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
SuziQ,

Here is some links to AC articles that might give you more insight to Veterans Assistance benefits available for you and your mom.

VA Benefits for Veterans and Their Caregivers
https://www.agingcare.com/articles/VA-benefits-for-veterans-and-their-caregivers-136403.htm

Veteran Financial Aid for Long-term Care and Home Healthcare
https://www.agingcare.com/articles/vets-financial-aid-long-term-care-home-health-care-138105.htm

Special Pension for Care of Veterans is Often Overlooked
https://www.agingcare.com/articles/Special-Pension-for-Care-of-Vets-and-Their-Spouses-Is-Often-Overlooked-133290.htm

Hope these help!

Karie H.
AgingCare.com Team
(0)

KAREN:
THIS WHERE I GOT THE INFORMATION. FROM AGINGCARE. DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT VA BENIFITS?
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter