Follow

I just wanted to post this obituary from the NY Times of my amazing neighbor. I have often made reference to her here when folks say that their parent is "fiercely independent". This is what that independence actually looks like.

Marilyn did not demand that others do for her without compensation. She never complained about her fate in life. Rather, she went out and helped to change the face of the world.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/12/01/health/marilyn-saviola-dead.amp.html

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Barb, thanks for sharing this heartwarming story of a very admirable, determined and resourceful woman.   She's certainly an inspiration, and someone who never gives up.   

I think it would be so rewarding to know someone like this.
(2)

Barb, sorry for the loss of your friend and neighbor. What an inspiration! She, easily, could have just gone the status quo when she chose to leave the hospital and spur change in our society. Good for her! Very accomplished, helped to change lives for so many!
(1)

Very inspiring. So many people's lives made better in many ways by her courage.
(1)

Thanks for sharing , Barb

Incredible! What an inspiration. She will be missed but remembered with love.
(1)

Her funeral was a standing room only affair. And when the priest said "handicapped", he was politely corrected.

One of Marilyn's friends told me that years ago, a minister had said in his eulogy the their friend, who had CP, had been released from a lifetime of pain and suffering. Marilyn interrupted and said "No, she was not in pain and lived a full and productive life". She was a pip!
(4)

So many of us see barriers but lack the initiative to push for change, I'm sorry you have lost this amazing woman who was a part of your life Barb.
(4)

Thanks for sharing. She led an inspiring life. May the memories of having her as your neighbor be a blessing. Peace.
(2)

Wow, thanks for sharing this beautiful woman's story Barb. What an inspiring lady.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter