Follow

I haven’t posted here in quite some time, but yesterday an event occurred which I thought should be shared with other caregivers.
An active shooter situation occurred about a mile from me in public housing for the elderly. Apparently it was some type of assisted living.
The apartment building was partially (apparently) evacuated. Residents were kept together on the street; many were in wheelchairs.
It seems the police of the city as well as surrounding neighborhoods managed to evacuate those people before any harm came to them.
The 70 year old shooter was found dead early this morning. Cause of death is unclear at this point.
My concern and reason for posting is that if any of you have family or friends in assisted living, especially public housing, ask the administration what the gun policy is, and be diligent to ensure that your relatives or friends are not in a situation in which an active shooter can endanger their lives.
Please share this with your friends.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Mikkimball - I took the time to look at your profile because you seem to be under a great deal of stress.

As you've never mentioned your mother, I looked to see what issues you may be having and if anything could be said to help and support you.

Thats is what we do here - help and support each other with the terrible stress caring for an aging loved one can bring.

Thats all.
(6)

Mik, I think you are in danger of being what you accuse Republicans of being.

I have both parties in my family and friends, they are as appalled at the current political climate as can be, but they are not believing that anyone in Washington is right. It has degraded to a circus side act and I am afraid that it is both parties refusing to be the adult in the room.

It takes two to tangle, if everyone would start doing their jobs it may settle down, but none of them will humble themselves to step back, a proverbial pizzing match it will remain.

I have to say that the 2016 choices for President made me very sad, we are the greatest nation on the planet and this is the best our political parties can produce for candidates. Sad beyond measure.

I believe we should all pray for our leaders, whether we like them or not, because what they do impacts us all and we should all hope and pray they do a good job.
(3)

The shooting did not occur at an ALF.

It was government housing and it was a big, loud, dramatic suicide. Not a mass shooting.

Hey, did anyone have veggies on the grill for father's day?
(0)

Mikkimball you are confused. This isn’t a political forum. This is a community for caregivers. No one here except you has brought up political parties, political affiliation or religion. And no not all republicans are of the same opinion re:gun control. The same can be said for Dems, not all Dems want gun control. If you read a few replies on this ONE thread and have decided to lump us all as right wong Republicans, again I say you are confused and maybe you thought you were posting on another forum?

FWIW I am not a republican. Or a Democrat for that matter.
(3)

mikkimball0664 - can you clarify your profile?

You say in one part you are 62 and that your caring for your 90 year old mother.

But in another part you say you are caring for your 62 year old, hard of hearing mother...

Its confusing.
(3)

Why are posters all up the butt of Republicans? Not every gun owner is a Republican.

If you enter a conversation with the attitude that you can not be reasoned with, you won't even try to be reasonable. So don't blame others because they don't believe like you do.

I get the idea that you think all Democrats are anti-gun, anti-christ and anti Republican. How very sad when we forget to look at a person and not a political party.

I for one think a jerk comes from all political parties and we need to deal with people on a one on one basis, not what we think they are.
(3)

The purpose of control is take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens. Criminals will always find a way to get their guns. Drugs are illegal in all 50 states, we have strict drug laws......yet we still have a drug epidemic in this country.

states with the strictest gun laws have the most violent crimes. So tell me again about gun control? Assault weapons are banned in California. But they are all over this state, in the hands of criminals.

FWIW I’m not pro-gun. I don’t own any guns.
(4)

Gun Control won’t take guns out of the hands of criminals & mentally ill people. There are already too many guns on the street in this country.
(1)

Good idea. Sadly, if they don't have access to a weapon, they will get it if they are determined to do harm to anyone. But it doesn't hurt to be fully aware of the situation.
(1)

I hear vegetarians are super, especially on the BBQ. 😁

No offense intended, I couldn't help myself, this is getting heated and I thought about BBQ.
(4)

Isthis, I think you'll find that the skill most highly valued and assiduously cultivated throughout the news media is the ability to start a fight in an empty room.

It's nothing new, of course, but either it really is getting worse or I'm getting too old.
(4)

Just setting the facts straight, Tacy.

”...a narcotic” could be a whole lot of things. Even Xanax. And, “may have” isn’t “was”.
(3)

Countrymouse - your reply regarding the man attempting to insult you by calling you a “Vegetarian” is too funny.

It reminds me of a movie quote (of course - what doesn’t?)

Its from the movie Siege. To set it up - this is a Caucasian America Army Colonel in charge of detaining all the Muslim men in New York, speaking to Denzel, an African-American FBI agent:

Colonel Hardwick - “Don't get in my face, Hubbard. I might decide you're an Ethiopian”.
Anthony Hubbard:
“And you're just stupid enough to think that's an insult.”
(4)

The so called "tag safety" firearm freqflyer mentioned that requires a bio or mechanical tag to fire was completely rejected when evaluated by military and law enforcement groups because:
(1) it does not prevent the firearm from being turned on its owner/user (soldier, LEO) in close quarters;
(2) firearms failed to fire from 5-40% of the time when the rightful user pulled the trigger; and
(3) the badly performing technology is expensive - to the tune of thousands of dollars for each weapon, turning a $1000 firearm into a $10,000 firearm.

When your life and the lives of your fellow LEOs, soldiers, and/or family are on the line, no one wants a firearm that cannot be relied upon.

The NRA has addressed the bio/mech tag safety as a firearm safety concern; "fair potential for target shooting but not recommended for self-defense purposes". The NRA recommendation is actually "softer" than the one issued by military and law enforcement groups so why aren't those groups being "blamed" for this non-functional bit of technology not being put into production?
(3)

Rainmom, tacy022 clarified that she heard this info on the radio.

I thank you for that update. I couldn't find anything online regarding the incident.

Situations like this help me to understand that I should not believe everything I hear that is being broadcast by the news. Jumping to conclusions seems to be their daily exercise.
(1)

Rainmom, the wronger they are, the funnier it is.

A man once took exception to my noticing that he had repeatedly nudged another car out of his way while parking - it had been so flagrant I couldn't believe he hadn't done any damage (though actually he hadn't, not visibly). He abused me roundly and finished off with " - and I bet you're a vegetarian!"

I don't know whether he meant to imply that I was a muesli-eating Guardian-reading CND hippy or a fan of Hitler. People just dish out labels according to their approval or disapproval of what they already think the other person is like.
(3)

From The Royal Oak Tribune, dated June 5th, 2019:

“Authorities say it will take up to six weeks to get results from a toxicology test to determine whether Campbell had any substances in system that may have played a role in his death and the shooting.”

As it’s only been four days since the incident I fail to understand how anyone can state that the man was “under the influence of pain pills”.
(3)

Tacy022, thank you for clarifying what happened.

It happens far to often. Thankfully no one was injured by him.
(1)

Oh sure, Countrymouse!

Kinda like “Call me what you will - just don’t call me late for dinner”?!?

... but to be lumped in with Midwestern Bible Thumpers, who voted for that embarrassment currently in the Whitehouse - or more likely tweeting from the 18th green? Now that’s just mean!!!

*No offense to my pistol packin’ sisters in the Bible Belt intended.
(2)

While Captain - may God be guiding his steps - was active on the forum I was startled to receive an email addressed to "Dear Survivalist."

In a world of algorithms there's no point minding the occasional false assumption that might come our way.
(1)

So sorry to see that GA’s return to AC has been turned into a debate. She’s been such a valuable contributor before and went through the loss of a beloved father this past year. Hope this hasn’t made her rethink returning
(4)

So what actually happened in this incident?

One person having a melt down doesn't make the national news, an active shooter still does. So I am curious what exactly happened.
(2)

I'm Jewish, live in NYC, would never keep a gun in my home because my kids would never allow my grandchildren to visit.

But I'm not not an ideologue anti gun advocate. I don't see this as a black and white issue. There is more debate to be had about mental health issues; those issues have so much more effect upon shootings than any other factor, imo.
(5)

I popped in on this thread at about 27 posts. I had a feeling it would turn into a gun control conversation - and guess what - it has. I thought about posting but decided against it as gun control “conversations” tend to become a conversation that no one listens to with an open mind. So, why bother?

Yet, here I am. Why bother? Cause salutem - you’re making me nutz.

I am am not a fan of stereotypes. Particularly, ignorant stereotypes. But - then again, aren’t all stereotypes ignorant?

So salutem, for the record...

I am a 57 year old, Caucasian woman. I was born and raised in Portland, Oregon - a city and state well known for its liberal majority and point of view. Currently, I live with my husband and severely disabled adult son in a burb just outside of Portland.

I am a college educated, retired professional with a career history as a retail executive, a Human Resource Director and a corporate trainer.

I would classify myself as “spiritual” not religious. I can not recall the last time I was in a church. I have more friends among the LGBTQ community than I do “straight” ones.

I rarely drink alcohol due to being on pain medication. One drink and I fall asleep. I’m afraid my days of a skirt twirling, dress up over my head, party girl are over. But, I did have them, thats for sure. I still do partake in a little marijuana from time to time.

I recycle as much as possible and eat organic whenever I can. I am multi pierced and sport several large tattoos. And, no - not your stereotypical, prison or neo-nazi tattoos. Beautiful tattoos done by my gay tattoo artist with organic ink. My tattoo guy openly boasts and advertises having the first all organic, queer owned tattoo salon in
Portland.

I do not support hunting in general but I do understand the need to “thin the herd” when the ecological balance becomes skewed.

But yes, I do have a few conservative leanings. I believe in the death penalty, the right to own a gun and that one should never wear white after Labor Day and prior to Memorial Day.

I also believe that government should be as minimally invasive in its citizens lives as possible. Yet, it seems to me that our government - “both sides of the isle” tend to be hypocritical in its cherry-picking of interpretation when it comes to the laws and rights that govern its citizens. I mean, if I can’t be trusted with “the right to choose” that which is right for me morally, ethically, physically and mentally - how on earth can I be trusted to own a gun? And vice-versa?

I own two guns. A .38 revolver and a semi-automatic 9mm. My husband also owns two guns. We each keep a loaded weapon in the drawers of
our bedside tables. My other gun is kept - loaded - in a safe spot near our front door... I’m home alone a lot.

So, salutem - I do wish you’d stop making stereotypes and assigning political affiliations to your argument against gun ownership by private citizens. It only serves to weaken your stance by making you sound like a rhetoric spewing fanatic.
(8)

Obviously, this is a gun control issue. the problem is that the majority of the views expressed here are those of Republicans who just happen to be of a particular religious persuasion; there is no reasoning with them. We Democrats simply have to be as respectful of the Supreme Court ruling on guns as they are of Roe vs. Wade. No negotiating, no attempts to reason if we want to live in a safe world
(2)

There would still be a huge danger if an ARMED criminal wrestled the gun away from the officer. It would leave the officer unarmed. And the criminal would still be armed.
(2)

One firearm maker had an excellent idea when it came to gun safety. They designed a handgun that wouldn't fire unless the person was wearing an id bracelet that was for that handgun only [probably an infra-red light code between the gun and bracelet].

Thus, children finding such a gun in the house could never hurt themselves or a playmate, as they wouldn't be able to use said modern technology firearm without the bracelet.

And if police used such a gun, there wouldn't be any worry of a criminal wrestling that gun away from the officer and using said gun on the officer. The gun wouldn't fire.

For some reason, the National Rifle Association did not like the above gun. So that firearm never became popular.
(5)

My dad use to say, "guns don't kill people. People kill people." If someone wants to do a massive killing they will find a way. It is just human nature...sad but true!

We live in a country where you can go to Walmart and buy a shot gun along with a gallon of milk, but you can't buy a Eminem cd! Doesn't make any sense!!!

Something does need to be done with gun control but I still think people should have the right to own a gun with a permit. Will someone with a permit save lives? Maybe or maybe not! Can that same person go on a massive killing spree, prehaps! I don't think there is just one answer to this problem. And I don't think anyone is closer to solving the problem today than they were a year ago!

Evil always finds a way! I would have to agree with Smeshque and Isthisrealyreal. "Its a matter of the heart..."

Just my 2 cents!
(2)

Tacy 022 the guy I talked about in my post is from Detroit and was a drug dealer there about 30 years ago.
(0)

Mass killings happen in countries with strict gun control laws and less guns on the streets. Instead of guns. They use cars, knives, bombs, even fire......if someone is really intent on causing mass casualties, they will find a way.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter