Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
3 4 5 6 7
CM What is your new Avatar? I am going to miss Alice. you did not ship her off to Sharryn did you?
(3)

Ooh, and another -

GT = Guilt Trip.

Think we're all familiar with that one!
(1)

DHilBe, I know exactly what you mean. At first I thought most of the writers here were from AL [Alabama], NH [New Hampshire], VA [Virginia], IL [Illinois].

Then I thought someone was flying to IAD, which to me means Dulles International Airport in the Washington DC area. Then someone would say FML, which to me means Federal Medical Leave.

Thanks to others explaining what DH and DW meant. I know S/O means significant other because I have one of those.... easier to use S/O than spouse-in-training :]
(4)

I have a new one!

ST*U. (Shut The **** Up - insert letter of your choice to replace the asterisks.)

I'm not explaining it fully - most of you know what it means. It's usually muttered quietly or thought LOUDLY inside your head and directed at the condescending relative who tells you you deserve a "pat on the back" for taking care of your LO when no one else would, followed by "I'll be praying for you" (instead of offering to help)...or, as in today's case here, the one who says how nice it was that another relative took Mom out to see the parade "so she could get out". Um....like I never take Mom out?? That just completely rubbed me the wrong way today. I was enjoying my 2 hours of peace and quiet while Mom was gone - and she had to go and say that. (sigh)
(3)

Ewwwww Veronica, I didn't even want to know all that !!!
(1)

I thought that was FOAD???
(2)

I never knew that GOAT was an accronym. I thought it was slang for being really annoying. Comment CM?
The medical world is riddled with them. some are even derived from the latin so there is no way of working them out.
Here are a few, not Latin.
HNPU has not passed urine
TPR temperature pulse and respiration.
BO bowells open
NPO nothing by mouth.
NV not vomited
MDA manual dilation of anus
PR per rectum

Nothing to do with medicine but I have one for Rolo
Roll over loved one
GOAT grouchy old angry toad.
No disprespect for OP but we can keep this going for ever.
(3)

Mmmmm… Rolos…. LadeeM, we had an ad campaign here decades ago with the catchphrase "do you love anyone enough to give them your last Rolo?"

Nope.
(3)

ROLO.....not an abbreviation of anything, just the name of my favorite candy....
(6)

Glad, every one I've come up with for GOAT, well, the mods will delete it.... give us some time.... my brain will be working by this evening.... I LOVE this thread...
(3)

I am going to go to sleep trying to come up with one for GOAT.
(4)

How could we forget UTI? Urinary tract infection. Spent the afternoon in the ER emergency room AGAIN. I don't think this will ever stop.
(5)

blannie,,,, what you are thinking.... is correct !!!
(4)

LadeeM I can only imagine what that extra "F" in TGIF stands for. :)
(3)

TGIFF!!!!
(3)

My Mom truly believes she "invented" TMI. (Too much information) Like I've said...she's a Hoot!
(3)

Oo, I've just remembered one that made me really cross - I was on a paediatric unit with my teenage daughter, eavesdropping like you do, and the nurse said to the mother of the tot in the next bed to us :"he p.u.'d this morning, so that was fine!" The mother looked nonplussed, so the nurse tittered and said "oh I'm sorry! - I mean he did a wee."

Saying p.u.'d (for 'passed urine' in case anybody's wondering) doesn't even save any time, and it isn't obvious, so what the h*ll was the point? - apart from being either lazy communication or an opportunity to patronise the parent en passant? I thought that was a real shibboleth at work, there. It's different when you're typing on line; and anyway in a forum you can always ask, or just pick it up as you go along.
(3)

Hm, I think I just thought of one that I don't think has been mentioned yet, and...dare I say it....this might be to blame for some of the more cranky posts we see:

TTOM = That Time of Month

Granted, it only works for females, and many of us are (thankfully) past having to deal with it, either by nature's design or by man's (surgery)....but I think it definitely has its place here! :-)
(5)

I know I had a 'knee jerk' reaction to the criticism.... there are a gazillion choices OP (Original Poster) had to share about this.... ummm let's see.... instead of us making it easier because OP didn't like it.... ummmm, how about OP asking what some of them mean....I have been on this site for many years..... and just as life evolves so does our site..... someone would be b*tching that it was antiquated...sooooooooo, we will just keep on having a ball with this, and I guess we should thank OP for providing so much fun for us.... nice to use our brains for something besides protocol.....what the h*ll does that even mean in Caregiver World?????? Ok, I'm tired and TADB.... taking a deep breath....if ya'll see me posting one with lots of "F"s in it .... don't ask !!!!!!
(4)

ladeeM - LOL!! I totally get your point , but I agree w/Countrymouse too....I think there's a lot of people who find the abbreviations a bit confusing at first.

gladimhere - re: the trolls...IKWOYS (I know what of you speak) and I share your concerns. Weird. Just very weird.
(3)

But LadeeM that's because we're not supposed to know what it stands for, it's like an anonymous.

And the PO. Sorry, no, the OP. Oh crumbs I'm so confused…

Anyway. That person is correct, in that life would be so much simpler in our bureaucratic world if the protocol were followed.

And, as you say, this is terrific fun. And has enlightened me about quite a few I'd been puzzling over but never quite worked out…
(4)

Has anyone noticed that the posters screen name is ABBREVIATED???
(6)

I am in love with this thread, talk about someone not liking something we do and it turning into a new 'playground' for us...... !!!! TTTT !!!! So will get back to this after some sleep.... (too tired to think)
(3)

GLAD

Gladimhere?

I feel your concern about trolls.. It gives me the creeps at times, it matters what my mood is..
(2)

WDSPHMTOI

Why do some people have more than one identity?

I have discovered several and know their altered egos as well. Are these people just internet trolls? Or are they actually caregivers that have maybe been pushed over the edge? Or they find pleasure in being mean and rude to others that are experiencing challenges in their care giving roles.
(3)

ASITWIH
Ahhh sh**, is that water I hear?

Yup, midnight, hose on washing machine decided to start gushing and not into the washer. TGFTH, thank goodness for this thread, I heard it got it turned off and mopped up in about twenty minutes. Who knows if I had been asleep.
(5)

NFN = normal for ninety.
(5)

Good ones for this morning:

WBRA = Washing Bathroom Rug AGAIN
MYPE = Must You Pee Everywhere?
INOMCI= In Need of Massive Coffee Infusion (or IV)
WTHIML = Where The H*ll Is My Life??
(4)

Chicago, is she in independent living in New Hampshire or a nursing home in Illinois? LOL!
(4)

And don't forget about AC
AgingCare.
(4)

3 4 5 6 7
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter