Follow

Simply this: I appreciate this site IMMENSELY !!!... But we now seem to live in an "ABBREVIATED' age... Yet not everyone who reads this site knows what every abbreviation used in Questions means... I think most readers who do not know the used Abbreviation, will just not bother to read further or react to it.!
"Aging-Care" -personnel: Could you please have a permanent request printed on your site for "questioners" to have the courtesy to fully write out the word, the 1st time it is used, then put the Abbreviation in parenthesis next to the word. Thereafter the meaning of the abbreviation is known to the reader throughout the rest of the text. ...
This has become "courtesy protocol" in business correspondence and here it should be required, because your readers live in such a large country that terminology and names can be different in Alaska, compared to the same thing in Texas....... Your Attention to this matter would surely be appreciated by many readers, as your subject matter discussed here is becoming ever more important and the help you offer is needed by many elderly
I am now asking for an explanation for " APS " - it is not found in Google either.... Thank you for listening ! DHilBe.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
APS - Adult Protective Services
And I understand your frustration. When I first signed on here it took me a while to figure a few of them out too! If you've got more list them here and I'll try to interpret as well as I can. If I can't I'm sure someone else will. Not sure if your appeal for an abbreviation courtesy protocol will work, but kudos for trying!
(6)

yaya51... thank you ...very much Thought I was the only one who had this problem,,, and I know I am not stupid.... I have seen the abbreviation protocol in action in other correspondence .. I hope it catches on here too .
Especially since I just had to look up what OPM means and found this site :
acronymfinder , which had 30 Abbreviations for OPM, and on the bottom stated " Note: We have 208 other definitions for APG in our Acronym Attic "........ there's another good reason to at least once write out the full name... which I overlooked in the case of the Question I read with APS in it, and then lost in my Taskbar-jungle... the full name was stated in the TITLE... when I found it again after writing my "mad" note.... hahaha...Have a good day .
(5)

Sorry - Goofed again, the note said : Note: We have 250 other definitions for APS in our Acronym Attic .
(0)

wapitammcbs.

(What a pain in the a** my mother can be sometimes)
(10)

BoniChak.

*snort* too cute
(4)

That's because you are from another planet. We are family here. If you want to fit in, you need to be respectful and kind. That's how we live on OUR planet. You get an eye roll. Do you understand that?
(6)

I had to get used to IL and AL (Independent Living and Assisted Living). Since I live in Illinois, every time I saw IL, I thought they were saying Illinois, LOL! :)
(11)

APS = Adult Protective Services
DHS = Department of Human Services
AL = Assisted Living
IL = Independent Living (or as blannie pointed out, Illinois, depending on context!)
NH = Nursing Home
VA = Veterans Administration (or Virginia, depending on context)
ALZ = Alzheimers
SD = Sundowners

BoniChak, you're about to put me on the floor here....(giggle). I can't get past that one either - we're from another planet. Here's another acronym for you - SMH. Means "Shaking My Head". I do that a lot when I read certain posts. One of these days, my head is gonna roll right off my shoulders, I swear.
(11)

DH - darling husband
DW -darling wife
(5)

SNF - Skilled Nursing Facility
MIL - Mother-in-law, FIL - Father-in-law, etc.
(1)

TIGR this is getting ridiculous!
SW social worker
LOL laughing out loud

DH, I too understand your frustration. Many of us have been through reports on us to Adult Protective Services, that were requested my our vindictive siblings. APS is a division of the Department of Human Services, DHS.

Thank you for the chuckle everyone. I wonder what other acronyms I could come up with...
(4)

I am thinking of many others but I would certainly get "reported" to AC bigwigs!
(5)

I had a hard time with SNF when I first saw it. All I could come up with is Saturday Night ... What? Then had a laugh at myself maybe Saturday Night Fights? That too would be appropriate for many of us. Then we would probably need a Skilled Nursing Facility SNF.

LOL!
(9)

Oh Lord, this is too funny !!! Many people ask what the abbreviations mean.... which speaks about them wanting to be a 'part of our community'..... we are NOT a business here, we are humans that are overworked, raw to the bone, needing support, and on a scale from one to ten, YOUR PROBLEM gets a -100!!
(5)

blannie, same thing here. When I saw that someone was going to move their parent to AL, I wonder why they are going to Alabama. Easy to figure out things in context, though.

It's tough. The only options for placement of our loved ones are Illinois, Alabama, and New Hampshire.
(12)

JB and don't forget South Nebraska!
(5)

JessieB- LOL!

ADL - Activities of Daily Living
FYI - For Your Information
BTY - By The Way
IMO - In My Opinion...or IMHO - In My Honeat Opinion
b/c - because
(3)

New one for today....

ILMMANOC

I'm Losing My Mind And No One Cares.

Some days.....
(10)

This thread is taking a delightfully creative turn! In that same vein...
SS - Silently Screaming
CTW - Climbing The Walls
SERENF - Seeking Escape Route Exit Not Found
(8)

IHMSAMOSSFM = I hate my sister and my other sister so freaking much.

Lovin this thread!
(8)

IWTRA-i want to run away
MOW-mom on warpath
IAD-i am done
SIN-sister is nuts
FAG- friends are gone
(11)

LOL on the "newly minted" acronyms. :) I'll add:

SDYJWTS - Some Days You Just Want To Scream
WTEE - Will This Ever End
NUTS - Never Underestimate The Sister! ;)
(8)

I like SIN and NUTS

for serious

LO - loved one
OP - original poster
NM - narcissistic mother also NARC
PD - personality disorder
AL or ALF assisted living

FS - female sibling when you can't call her sister
LaLa land -where they live
OMLN - on my last nerve
RR -rubber room (I'll join you there)
(9)

Another new one for today's insanely busy schedule:

IRATTSANCB

I'm Running Away To The Store And Never Coming Back!

I have to come here occasionally just to regain my sanity. Come join me on my planet. I have cookies here. hee hee hee
(8)

I like the RR~rubber room...I spend lots of time there. Take me away Hey, Hey, Hey!
What is NUTS for?

I have started using Narc Shark for narcississtic mother and sister.
(3)

And this one:

TBTOTD - the best thread of the day!
(6)

No more TLA*s, promise!

*three letter acronym
(3)

Reminds me of a lovely text exchange I read of between mother and daughter:

Daughter - hi mom i got an A on my paper xxx

Mother - wtf! WELL DONE XXXX

Daughter - ??? Mom, what do you think wtf means?
(4)

@Sharyn - NUTS - Never Underestimate The Sister - blannie's post

cm - there are some hilarious texts
(3)

VoD - Village of the D-mned. This could be your family group, the NH, some place you're running from or to.
(4)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter