Follow

My 98 year old uncle was rushed to the hospital after a fall at home. No family was allowed to ride in the ambulance. Once there they were told he had stabilized only for everything to detoriate within a few hours and he passed away alone. My aunt is obviously distraught. They were married over 70 years. Besides the great loss she wishes she could have been beside him as he lay dying. They were not notified until it was too late. Because they live in a suburb of NY we cannot go for the service as also other family cannot which might have given her a little happiness. At least 2 of their 3 children are nearby. Their priest has allowed them to have a simple service with immediate family members.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
River, I'm so sorry.  My personal belief is that he knew she was there, that all were there, are there, and comforted him.  He was and is never alone, not for a moment.  Prayers sent to you and all your family.   lil
(1)

River,

This is heartbreaking. I am so very sorry. Cry. Tears are healing. Grieve. You are a caring and loving woman. I appreciate that. Everyone should care as much as you do. 💗
(2)

Watched the funeral of my uncle on church facebook site. One granddaughter couldn't attend so her husband could be a pallbearer. Only 10 family members allowed. My dear aunt took along time to leave the casket crying almost uncontrollably. Greeks have open caskets. I haven't been able to stop crying. Although living to 98 is certainly a long life it's hard to imagine her life without him. I know time helps. Some family members wore masks approaching the casket. I realize this is happening prematurely all around the world. It's just wretching to see close up. And there is the sense that if it hadn't happened during this awful time there would have been more there to provide comfort. They were very involved with their church community. I can only hope time will help. I believe right now she wishes she could join him.
(3)

Please tell your family to be very careful at the service. My brother in law attended a small funeral service for his mother on March 14. Now, his father is intubated in the ICU, his sister is hospitalized and he is at home with a positive coronavirus diagnosis.

They were only allowed to have10 people at the service. Especially for your aunt, please tell your cousins to be very, very careful if they have a memorial.

I am so sorry to hear of your family's loss. It is heartbreaking.
(2)

River,

Very sorry for your loss 💗.
(1)

So sorry, Riverdale (((((hugs)))))) and sympathies.
(1)

Riverdale, so sorry for your loss. Sympathies to you and your family.
(2)

Riverdale, so sorry for the loss of your uncle, Sending prayers to your aunt and family. May she find some peace with her memories of her husband of over 70 years. What a sad story. May he rest in peace. Hugs to you.
(1)

I'm so sorry. I think that is the saddest part of this whole disaster - that people who are dying must die alone, without the comfort of their loved ones nearby. And, that the loved ones don't get a chance to say goodbye or provide what comfort they can. It's terribly sad. Your family has my condolences.
(5)

Riverdale, I offer my sympathies to your family.   Losing a family member is hard enough under normal circumstances, but especially during these very challenging and unsettling times.

Perhaps there could be a Memorial, tribute to his life, after the pandemic has been controlled?
(2)

Yes thanks Dorker. I have been in touch with some cousins and am sending a care package from an online food company. They are Greek and always are serving food. She has 2 daughters near and grandchildren. I am sure they will be as careful as possible and I imagine there won't be alot of people due to present circumstances. Greeks traditionally have a day or two of wakes,church service and burial and then a reception after. It takes me back to when my grandfather died while visiting us in California and I was alone with my grandmother and EMS pleaded with me to speak to her in Greek as she would not get off his body. I was fifteen then. She said over and over he didn't get to drink the tea she had just made for him.
(1)

If it's of any help to your family. My aunt (84 yo) died the other day, several states away . massive heart attack.

Family all upset they can't all convene for a funeral at this time.

A FB family page was opened, and those that care to do so, have shared funny/sentimental memories of this beautiful woman .. it's been helpful .. at least so folks can reach out to each other in this time.
(7)

Riverdale -
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle, the circumstances surrounding his passing - and the pain you are feeling on behalf of your Aunt.

As everyone says - these are unprecedented times. A new reality that no one - beyond the medical expects that study and predict such things - was prepared for.

How to act, how to feel, how to comfort others during this time - I guess, we’re all gonna have to just figure it out as we go.

But one thing that remains the same - is the thoughts, actions and words that come from a sincere and loving heart - those are what mean the most at a time like this for you, your aunt and all of your family.

This is what has ALWAYS meant the most. That hasn’t changed. Bless your kind and loving heart - and take care.
(3)

I'm so sorry for your loss and praying for your Aunt and family :( Truly sad. take care. Big hugs.
(1)

Barb,2 of 3 daughters and their children so she isn't all alone. To hear her painful moaning was so sad. She has been strong through some divorces of her children. They truly had a marriage of great companionship. They were also my godparents. I am glad we visited them in September before we left NY for good.
(3)

I am so sorry for your loss.

May God give all of you grieving mercies and strength during this difficult time.

Who could have imagined that our world would change overnight. Such a difficult time for families losing loved ones.
(2)

I am very sorry for the loss of your family member. I am hearing about so many similar situations. It is heartbreaking. The same could easily happen with my parents. People are dying without loved ones around and babies born without the presence of a husband and father. These are unprecedented times. I suppose there is some solace in not having to make a difficult decision to be present or risk your own health. We have no option other than to comply with the medical mandates. It may only be a small comfort, but I believe in those times where we get peace the most is knowing the love we have and connecting to those feelings in our heart. Regardless of the person's physical presence. I will pray she finds comfort in the love they had for 70 years and that will get her through the days ahead. A simple service sounds lovely.
(2)

I'm so sorry, Riverdale! Is anyone close by to where your aunt lives?
(1)

I’m sorry for your loss. My mother died alone. We knew for weeks that she was dying, but no idea when it would actually happen. It happened to be when no one was around. The nurses told us that the dying most often have slipped away mentally before the actual death, they aren’t aware. I had to make peace with it, I hope you’re family will be able to also. Funerals are always hard, made more complex now, maybe the extended family can deluge your aunt with letters and cards filled with stories of happy memories of your uncle. I wish peace and comfort for you all
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter