Follow

Is anyone else annoyed by people who say they have POA "over" someone? A POA is to act "for" someone else, not to rule over them.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Count me in as well. Someone who thinks that being proxy puts them in a position "over" someone is usually someone who doesn't comprehend the basic function, and I don't think it's worth the time to explain to them b/c they probably aren't going to understand, including that they are not the "POA". It's a document, not a person.
(1)

Completely annoying.
(1)

Yes, there is a lot of misunderstanding as to what a POA is. That the POA is APPOINTED by the person to act AS DIRECTED if the person is competent, and in the BEST INTERESTS of the person, if the person can no longer act competently on his or her own behalf. People don't understand the first thing about it, nor that it is legally a Fiduciary duty under the law, and ignornance being no defense before the law, to act incorrectly or to take charge over the wishes of a person can send the fiduciary to jail, as can benefiting from or enriching themselves at the expense of the person. I find also they have no the first idea how to do it with bank account, with bills being paid, with keeping meticulous records. It can be really disturbing and is one reason I am always suggesting they see an attorney to at least give them the basics. Many have the idea they can go online, fill out some form, and take over everything, doing as they wish.
(0)

Amen!!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter