Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Vomvomvomvomvom...

Sometimes these things are so utterly detached from reality you have to wonder if the makers of the ad. are a) twelve years old or b) taking the mickey. It's got to be one or the other.
(10)

I have to grin when I see those commercials. Like seriously? Don't these marketing groups and pharmaceutical companies understand "real life"?

I remember one commercial where Grandma moved in, I think she was wearing either a golfing outfit or tennis garb. I was waiting for her to go to her new vehicle and pull out a set of golf clubs or tennis rackets. To make it more real, the grown son or daughter should be lifting out of the trunk of the 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis, Mom walker.
(8)

LOL, Daughter of 1930!

On the positive side, it's good that society is starting to acknowledge elder care as an issue affecting more and more families. On the negative side, these are commercial ads, aimed at people who have money, which is too often not the case. My nominee for most offensive are the pious ads for home-care services "Because we promised Dad we'd keep Mom at home." Yeah, everyone would promise that if Dad left enough money to pay for Mom's care round the clock. I fear that ads like that reinforce the idea that it's okay to extract those promises from adult kids, even when there are no funds to pay for care. Ticks me off every time I hear that!
(13)

Adding my disgust and contempt for false advertising as well. I keep wondering if the FTC has jurisdiction at this level of fraudulent advertising.

As I've written before, older people and their care have been commoditized, just as our personal information has been.

Truth in advertising is I think merely an ideal, neither a goal or reality. Money drives the ads and governs the "care".
(11)

I'm glad to see that somebody else is annoyed by these ads. Yes, they are trying to sell something and if they showed the more "realistic" view of aging, it would make viewers weep....When my DH is slow getting out the door in the morning, the "single use catheter" ads come on and he races to leave.
(12)

Thanks for the grin daughter 1930. My favorites are the dementia drug tv ads. Mom or dad always have this faraway but beatific look on their faces as they take part in ever so happy activities with their beautiful families.

I think they’re sell more drugs if they showed the real thing. Changing depends, taking the car away, dragging mom into memory care.....Scare people to death. SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DONT BUY THIS CRAP?!
(14)

Everybody likes to see the newspaper stories about the extraordinary old people who are out there skydiving or working or volunteering well into their 90's and beyond but of course that just isn't the reality for the vast majority. And remember that TV show Golden Girls that people like to use as a model for the perfect retirement plan?? Those women were supposed to be in their 50's and 60's and Ma was only 80... I swallowed the premise when I was in my 20's but today it makes me wonder why they weren't all out working 9 - 5.
(13)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter