Follow

Today I went to visit my dad who has lived in an assisted living apartment for about 3 years. I've experienced and read all about the issues when we are trying to make the assisted living decision and then trying to get our LO to accept the need for the move. It's rarely an easy decision or an easy move. Today I went to visit my dad and as I was leaving there were three women sitting in the lobby chatting. One woman was pretty new to the building and the others were filling her in on how things worked. I didn't really listen until one of them said, perkily, "And there are a lot of good-looking single men here, too." I had to quickly exit before I started laughing.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I guess your never too old.
(0)

Love this. Before Covid, I’d periodically see it happen once in a while.

Although by the Grace of God both DH and I are still around, I think, for someone who has experienced loss, a twinkling eye can be darn good medicine.
(0)

Awwww, such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. It made me smile.

My mom had a crush on the firemen that came to our house to pick her up when she fell. She was old, practically deaf, but she knew a good looking man when she saw one!

My dad was extremely handsome! She kissed his photo goodnight every single night before going to bed and told him that she loved him. She outlived him by many years. There does seem to be more widows than widowers.
(0)

That's funny- and it's real. Yes, one's need for companionship doesn't fade just because they're in an assisted living facility or even memory care. In fact, it's probably increased. Lonlieness is a terrible feeling. Don't be surprised if you see one of those women walking hand in hand with your dad some day. It's the nature of things.
(0)

Yes, @funkygrandma59, my dad was one of the sought after good-looking single men until recently. He had a coterie of women vying to sit with him at dinner and in the lounge. He also had his "girlfriend" of many years who is almost 20 years younger than him who still lives on her own and is a good driver. He'll be 100 at the end of August and he still looks good but it's harder to get him to "spiff" himself up to please the ladies, but he loves the attention.
(1)

It's nice to know that our attraction for the opposite sex doesn't fade just because we're getting older, and might need a little help with our care right? I think it's really sweet. Perhaps your dad was one of the "good-looking single men" they were talking about.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter