Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
We had this discussion at the dinner table a couple of months ago. The grandchildren laughed like crazy at the first & last name combos!

Etta, Edna, Ellen, Yura, Audie, Burlie, Louise, Marian, Myrtle, Hazel, Jackie, Jewel, Clara, Pearl, Veda, Beatrice, Bernice, Eltha

Everett, Burl, Valgene, Aubrey, Hollis, Ocie, Rufus, Chester, Garland, Guy, Rufus, Ira, Sargent, Leon, Kenneth, Carl, Johnson, Dwight, Niles

Some names are on both sides of the family so may have been popular at the time.

When Uncle Johnson was born his mother (my great-great-grandmother) was tired & worn out by too many babies too close together. When it was time to name him, she said she didn't care. Let the children name him. He had 5 names & went by Burl in public & Johnson among family.
(3)

My grandparents were Otto and Flossie (my grandmother said she always thought it was a cow's name), Alma and Edward. There was a Meda and Gertrude and Ida and way back in the family tree Kunayunda, I've always wondered about that one!
(2)

Effajean
(0)

Most of my family first names are very traditional Anglo or Anglo-Irish as in Elizabeth, Margaret, Catherine and John, James, William.
But, others I recall: Delia (my paternal grandmother), Alma, Maeve, Enda, Vera, Carmell
Hugh, Owen (2 great uncles), Niall, Pearse, Rory, Colm, Ned

My grandparents named my mother "Virginia Beatrice" (lol....2 old-fashioned names!!!) when she was born in 1921. A bit of a multi-syllable mouthful if pronounced all together. Tho, as far as I know and personally recall, they and other family members always called her by her full first name, "Virginia". No pet name, no shortened name, no nickname.

BUT.....Dad ALWAYS called Mom "GinnieB🐝" . My sister and I have several of the handwritten cards Dad sent Mom over the years....yep....all have his hand-drawn "B/bee/bea". SIGH....favorite things and "what's in a name?" .....all in one fun question.
Thank you for this, Segoline!
(4)

I have dominated this thread a bit too much. I want to hear your stories and names. We are British Irish French and Scandinavian by history. We have one or more Dorcas in the ranks. That was actually a popular name at one time.
(4)

Also per oxen. My great grandmother had a four in hand. That's 4 oxen. And a lot if leather in your hands.1k lbs at minimum each. Plus a bullwhip. By herself with 4 kids.
(3)

Hey when you say cultural, can you share? I so loving this conversation and I really appreciate everyone's contributions.
(1)

My family seems to have gone for putting the full names of rich uncles (or other people they want to impress) as middle names. ‘Hedley Vicars’ and ‘Joseph Hodges’ etc. I doubt if it ever worked. Perhaps that's why my mother didn't give any of us middle names.
My sister’s employer firm helped change a client’s name from ‘Enoch Moses Hall’ to ‘Enoch Humphrey Hall’, many years ago. The mind boggles!
(5)

Mine not necessarily old fashioned but cultural. Olga, Obert, Irene, Norris, Marilyn, Gloria, Gene, Glenn, Sophia, Astrid, Jerome...

Scandinavian culture.

Oh and don't forget Erik the Red and Ovid.😉
(4)

Per the oxen. You would think I would learn. I have ridden horses since I was very young. Horses and cows, two different things. Oxen are in cow group. It is hard to make them do anything. My sis hissed at me, lol, don't ask. Well you can guess how that went

Eustice, the farm hand showed me. Eustice had a brother named Erold and a sis named Honor. A baby named patience.

Eta. You crack a bullwhip. You have to be firm and strong in your snap.
(1)

My grandmother's name was Edna Viola. My great grandmother was Laura Evangeline. She was the one who crossed the Mississippi in an oxen cart.

And per that one, our mom would say. Stop whining. Let me tell you about your great grandmother.

Even as a kid you don't really have a response to that one, lol.
(3)

Mable,  Anna, Annie, Beatrice, Edna, Mariam, Ethel, Oliver, Lydia, Alice, Drusilla, Sarah, Mary, Martha, Molly, Susannah, Sadie, Eliza, Hannah, Henriette
Ernest, Guy, Rodney, Delancey, Samuel, Oliver, Benjamin, Nathanial, Alexander, Harry, Harvey, Robert,
I'm sure there are more.
(4)

My mother lost two siblings. Thomas Tillman and Alice Aline.,I think they both are so lovely.

I am so loving your contributions. they are so fabulous.
(3)

Anna, Annie, Ann, Marlene, Margaret, Meg, Maggie, Elizabeth, Beth, Lizzie, Mary, Sarah, Mollie, Ida, Ora, Ina, Jean, Jane, Jo, Leslie

Casper, John, Charles, Robert, Foy, Horten, William, Lee, Horton, Horace, George, Raymond, Paul, Gary, Matthew, Wayne, Donald, David, Adam, Jeremiah, Frances, Leslie, Wiley
(4)

Lemuel, Silvia, Opal, Chapel, Mertie, Dorotha, Ortha, Jackson, Cicilia,Frances, Josiah, Margaret,
that is all that comes to mind.
(4)

Florence, Gertrude, Nella, Mildred, Muriel, Estelle, Beverly, Mavis, Maude, Zona, Dorothy.
(4)

Carlota, Emma, Houston, & Edna and April, of course Mary, Marie and Betty.
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter