Follow

Some of you may know that I work as a Front Desk Receptionist at a Memory Care Assisted Living home; Sundays I'm here from 8 am - 8 pm. We have a deacon from the Catholic church who's just been assigned to come in every first Sunday of the month to give out holy Communion to the Catholic residents who request it. He shares the duty with 3 others from the same church.

He came in today and saw the counter behind the front desk literally filled with giant vases of flower arrangements. He remarked about their beauty; I told him one of our residents had died and they were from her funeral service yesterday. A wide grin split his face & he said "GOOD FOR HER!"

I was surprised to hear him say that in response to hearing that she had passed away. That's not a common response to hear, is it?

He went on to tell me that his mother is 90 years old, suffers from dementia, and lives in an ALF in Pittsburgh. Every day he prays for her to die and for God to 'take her home', he told me. His greatest wish and desire for his beloved mother is that she pass away, as he feels we are living too long these days, with too many ailments, suffering with too much pain.

Ain't THAT the truth!!??

I read posts here quite often from people feeling terribly guilty about wishing for their loved one to pass, asking if it's a 'bad thing' or if such a wish makes them a 'bad person'? The deacon himself was celebrating the death of one of our most loved residents here, and praying daily for the death of his own mother.

That's the purpose of my post today: to let you know what this particular gentleman had to say on the subject. And to let everyone know that it's okay to celebrate the passing of a loved one, to hope for it and to pray for it. Because if you are a person of God, or have any belief system in place, you know that your loved one will go on to another phase of life after he or she dies. It's not the 'end' but a new beginning.

Disclaimer: This is not intended to open up an argument on the subject or a discussion of 'religion' in general. Just intended as kind of an upbeat post about a bit of 'different' viewpoint from a clergyman. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject.

Hope you all have a great Sunday!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
This makes me feel better about when I talk to my mother and she has a LIST of people who have died. She's 90, so she really doesn't have a lot of people around that are her age. I almost always say "Good for them!" b/c a life spent in pain and sadness is not one to reach for. I don't fear death--it's just like walking into another room, where all the worries and 'junk' of this earthly life are gone.

Nobody is handing out medals to people who live in suffering for the last 10-20 years of their lives.

Actually, I think a LOT of clergymen feel that way--they probably don't preach it from the pulpit, but their personal feelings? Yes, I know most 'people of faith' are not sad when someone old, sick an feeble gets to go home.
(5)

I agree!
(3)

Thanks, Lea!
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter