Programs to pay child to take care of sick parents

Follow

Are there any programs to pay a child to be able to stay home and care for their sick parents?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing

Comments

Show:
1 2 3 4
I now live in North Carolina. My parents went to visit my sister in NC last August and my Mother fell ill found herself in the hospital. The whole family was called in anticipating Mom's death. However, we were luck, she pulled through after spending about 3 1/2 months in the hospital and rehab care. My father is bound to a wheel chair and my Mother had been his caregiver, but since the incident has not been able to help him. Toward the end of September, I took a leave of absence from my job (FMLA) to go from Georgia to live with my sister to take care of my parents. During December I had to resign from my job to continue to care for my parents. Are there any programs that will help me to offset the costs associated with this situation?
(0)

Kittkattz, the facilities are there to help us grown children give our parent that extra level of care when we cannot be working 3-shifts of care. And it gives us time for us to get back to the workforce so that we can have our own retirement fund.

It's my understanding that Hospice will take care of a patient no matter where they are, at home or in a continuing care facility.

As I had mentioned earlier on in the above post, majority of grown children do not get paid unless their parent can pay them from their own retirement funds. Consider yourself fortunate that in your State you were able to be paid by the State government.
(0)

Hi my name is Kat and I live in VT. My mom is on choices for care.I get paid to take care of her personal care and for respite hours. I think sooner then later she is going to need Hospice Care and I read the choices for care handbook which if I read correctly says that you are not eligible for Choices for Care if on Hospice Care. I can't go back to work and leave her and I won't put her in some kind of a facility. My mom has congestive heart failure, a broken hip, 3 lumbar fractures and now esophageal cancer. She now has a GI bleed and will need more blood transfusions in the future. Is there some kind of program that would help me with a paycheck or stipend so I can still pay my rent and other bills when I have to put her on Hospice Care?
(1)

I live in Il and I have parents that need care and I would like to know if I took care of them would I get paid by the state
(0)

buggy50, majority of grown children do not get paid for caring for their elderly parent, unless the parent is financially able to pay from their own funds. If a parent can afford to pay you, the parent might as well hire a certified trained caregiver… thus allowing you to keep your full-time job and benefits, if you are working.

Check to see if your parent could qualify for Medicaid…. each State has different income/eligibility requirements the parent must meet. If your State has such a program to pay a grown child to care for a parent, you might feel your parent needs 12 hours of care, the program might decide only 5 hours. And you may need to take some health care courses to qualify. Plus there is a question as to if the State will pay a relative if he/she lives full-time with the parent. Be aware that there are waiting lists to sign up for these programs.

Check with your local Council on Aging to see what is available for an Aide to come to the house for a couple of hours. Caregiver burnout comes quickly, in a matter of months for some.
(0)

i live with my sister we take care of both of our parents in Utah, our mom had a stroke that ruined her short term memory's a year and a half ago and our dad had a stroke last year it affected his left side not like my moms, he is a little slow forgets somethings he fell and broke his right hip and has had two seizure's, how would we go about seeing if we can get paid to take care of them
(0)

singlemother, tell your Mom she doesn't get to make the choice. You have to work to help feed your children and to keep a roof over their heads, otherwise everyone would be out on the street. So, it's either living on the street or having the State pay for someone to come in to help [if the State offers such program].
(0)

thank you but my mom dont want no one but me to take care of her so i dont know what to do
(0)

Singlemother, whatever you do, do not quit work. See if the State might help you with a caregiver who comes in to help while you are at work. Otherwise, if you quit work you will lose your seniority, and lose whatever benefits you are getting [if any]. Your work will become your place to escape when times get tough at home.
(0)

i need help i am working but i am thinking i am going to have to stop every soon here because my mother has had lung cancer and now has leukemia she has a hard time walking without holding on to me she can show alone and no longer can do laundry she cant drive to appts no more and i cant keep missing work it is just me and her plus my three girls i am a single mother can i get paid for taking care of my mother so i dont have to work no more to be with her 24 hours i live in aurora colorado
(0)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Related
Questions