Follow

My Dad's health has been declining. He has battled cancer the majority of his life. Last year colon cancer, had a successful surgery to remove it. This year he has had an ulcer bleed & a another surgery. He hasn't been eating a whole lot or drinking very much and today he stopped eating and drinking completely. He has been hallucinating for almost 3 days. I have spoken with his doctor & he removed his pain med Tramadol hoping this is what was causing the hallucinations. It was like one day he was ok and the next day his brain flipped a switch. He forgot how to use a spoon so I spoon fed him yesterday morning but he would only eat a little. I know he has always told me no tubes and no machines to keep me alive. His doctor said he feels it may be time for Hospice because he feels my Dad does not seem to be getting better. He said he doesn't believe he will make it 6 months. He is the kindest doctor ever. He even comes to the house to see my Dad. My heart hurts because there is nothing I can do to make him better. All I do is sit with him offer him fluids or something to eat. I hold his hands, rub them & sponge bathe him everyday so that he is fresh & change him about 5 x a day so he doesn't form bed sores. I wished I knew what to do. Hoping to get more answers come Monday Morning. Heavenly Father, please don't let my Daddy suffer too long. Thank you all for letting me get it all out. (Vent) I appreciate our group! God Bless you!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Oh Tamara, may God grant you grieving mercies and comfort during this difficult time.

Knowing that our loved ones are with The Lord and just waiting for us is such a wonderful thing. I always rejoice when I read that people know that their loved ones are with The Lord, it helps with the pain of our loss to know that they are no longer suffering.

Great big warm hug!🤗🤗
(1)

So very sorry for your loss.
(1)

So sorry for your loss, Tamara. May your father's memory be a blessing to you. And I think it is sweet that you remember him with a fishing pole in his hand. May his soul find peace and delight in fishing the rivers of eternity.
(1)

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm glad your faith sustains you at this difficult time.
(1)

Gone fishin'...

What a wonderful way to think of him, Tamara. I'm so sorry for your loss. Wishing you and your family comfort.
(1)

Uplate on Daddy...
My sweet Daddy went home to be with Jesus Saturday night! My hurt hurts so bad, I miss him so much! I know he is no longer suffering or in pain. He is with his Mom & Dad. Shoot, I bet he has his fishing pole out in the river already. That comforts my heart! Thank you all for your kindness towards me and my family during this time! I appreciate all of you! God Bless you!
(4)

Our thoughts are with you as you face this loss, and heart goes out to you. I hope your father doesn't suffer more, as he has put up such a brave fight. I know he has to be exhausted now, and want only peace.My father did not even have an illness, but at his mid 90s expressed to me that he wanted only sleep and peace, and was ready now to go. How lucky your Dad is to have you there advocating for his comfort, and to have a kind and gentle doctor.
I hope you will keep us posted.
(1)

😊❤️🙏 We are caretakers , God meet our needs to help our parents
(1)

That is good news.

Hugs! God be with you all!
(2)

Thank you all for all of your prayers & comforting words. Dr. has called in Hospice & I am awaiting their phone call. I will keep you all updated! God Bless you all! 🙏❤💙
(4)

Present with you and your Precious Dad in your circle of Prayer.
(1)

I hope you’ll get help from hospice. Their guidance was crucial for me in my dad’s final weeks. I wouldn’t have known so much of what to do without them. Don’t worry about food, keep dad hydrated, even if it’s minimally so. One of our nurses suggested making ice chips from dad’s favorite drink and spooning that into his mouth, and it worked very well. You’re doing better than you think you are, hold his hand, and rest when you have moments to do so. I wish you both peace
(2)

Hospice. They are Angels on earth.
They will help you and your dad.
All Hospice are open 24/7/365 give one a call today and they will evaluate your dad and start services right away. He will have a Nurse come in once a week, more often if they thin it is needed, sometimes they will have a nurse visit daily.
Now for you, and your dad.
Continue to offer food and water but do not push him to eat or drink.
If fluids like water get difficult for him, he may choke you can get products to thicken the liquids. (Hospice will provide this as well)
To anticipate some of the changes read a pamphlet on line that might help. It is called "Crossing the Creek" It explains a lot about what changes your dad will be going through.
((Hugs)) and prayers for both of you.
Your dad is a lucky man to have such a caring daughter.
(3)

Tamara, you say your dad is hallucinating. What is he saying and to whom? Is there any message that may indicate what he wants before he can die peacefully or what's holding him back ? Maybe he wants to !know that you will be ok after he goes?

If you can, go get and read the book called Final Gifts by Maggie Callahan and Patricia Kelly. It's about end of life and what the dying persons need and communicate before they die. Some even give a glimpse of what's waiting for them, a place so warm, bright, beautiful and full of love, with loved ones waiting for them.

Wishing you peace and love and that your father will transition quickly and peacefully.
(2)

May The Lord grant your prayers for your daddy.

God bless you and may HE give you strength and peace during this difficult time.

Great big warm hug!
(2)

It is time for hospice. Completely not eating or drinking is a sign he's in his final days. Hospice can make those days as pain free and comfortable as possible. Your dad wants to die with dignity. Hospice will offer that.

Touch is very important. You are doing what you need to. Continue to hold his hand, massage and sponge him and offer him comfort. And talk to him. Recall better days and reminisce.
(2)

He may very well be transitioning but if he has uncontrolled pain that could certainly affect his appetite, is he on any other pain medication? If you want to avoid opiates maxing out tylenol and adding in ibuprofen for breakthrough pain is a common practice (with the approval of your doctor).
(1)

Not eating or drinking can be one of the stages of dying. So is confusion, and many other stages as well. Getting Hospice involved now is a great idea, as they should better be able to answer any questions you have. Everyone's dying process is different, and while they will try to give you the answers you need, you have to remember that only God knows the day and time when He will call your father home.
So the important thing to do now is to spend as much time with your dad as you can and say what you need to say before it's too late. Praying for God's peace and comfort to be with you in the days ahead.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter