Follow

There have been a couple of threads talking about LO's losing glasses. My suggestion has been to stock up on them because they are cheap and not worry about it. Goggles4u is having another one of their frequent sales. Right now it's 2 pairs for $10. There's also probably shipping which is like $5-$7 if I remember right. Sometimes they ship for free. Now this isn't a big save since the regular price is $7 for a pair so $14 for 2 pairs, but $4 is $4. This is for their cheapest tier of frames and the cheapest lenses. They work fine though. I'm wearing a pair of $5 specials right now. They look like they cost much more than $5.

The website is goggles4u.com and the coupon is "2FOR10".

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thanks for sharing.
(0)

I do the same, and I have a pair where I will need them, which reduces losses - currently bedroom, kitchen, computer, living room, bathroom, car glove box. All color coded! I enjoy them.
(0)

What about the glasses fitting correctly? I know for myself, it can take the eye glass person several tries to get it right. Just curious.
(1)

The correct fitting probably depends on how ‘normal’ you are. I abandoned opticians when I found out by accident that my requirement was the same in both eyes, so readers from a decent chemist were just the same as the prescription pair. I need the 2 size from the chemist for the computer, 2.5 for small print, my husband’s 4s for splinters! I suppose I have a fairly normal head shape, so I haven’t had much problem with head width. If I try on one in the shop and it doesn’t fit, I pick another one in another brand. With metal frames, it can be easy to bend the metal at the sides and between the eyes, which can solve minor problems.

I still feel like I was taken for a sucker by opticians for years. When I asked the last optician after the discovery about the prescription, he looked quite ashamed when he agreed that readers would be just the same for me. I can remember all the fiddling about heating up the sides, and have no idea what it achieved.
(0)

The fitting I'd be concerned with would be making sure the lenses are aligned appropriately according to your pupil distance, adjusting the earpieces is child's play. But of course I'm now dealing with multifocal lenses.
(1)

My DD got a pair from warby parker ?? and they had her hold up a piece of paper or card to "set" the vision. She had a horrible time. Several returns later, she had to go to Baltimore to a "real" WP store to get them fixed. She said never again. So I hope this works for most people, but it was not a good thing for my DD. Maybe if your vision is not very bad it may work, or maybe my DD was just unlucky
(1)

Pam, what you are describing as paper to "set" the vision is measuring the Pupillary Distance(PD). It's the distance between the eyes. It's required so that when they grind the lenses that the focal point is right. It's easy to measure by holding a ruler up to the eyes. Which is what many optometrist do.

Freq, I remember when I used to go to opticians for $400 glasses they would do the same about fitting. They would make a great show of it. I found that I still fiddled with the fitting myself when I got home. With these mail order glasses the only thing I always do is flatten out the nosepads. They tend to oriented too orthogonally for me. So I grip the pad between my thumb and index finger and give them a little twist until they lay flat against my nose. This is really the only "fitting" I do for every pair. Sometimes the frame arms are a little to "long" or "short". You can do exactly what they do at a store. Heat up the arm and then change where the bend is. Just boil some water in the microwave and then dunk the arm until it gets malleable. Then unbend and rebend until it's comfortable. This is exactly what they do at a optician. There's no magic to any of this. The glasses I'm wearing now I just flattened out the nosepads a little.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter