Combatting the Epidemic of Loneliness in Seniors

Combatting the Epidemic of Loneliness in Seniors

Anne-Marie Botek Updated

Comments

1 3 4
I agree, Sunny; I think all of society has an attitude of me, me, me (except when they want something, usually $$); so why wouldn't children/g'children be the same? It is indeed sad; I just wonder where we're headed sometimes...scary...

I don't think children/grandchildren care any more......they need you growing up but they get to the age they have no time for you unless they need money....otherwise Seniors are forgotten....many live in nursing homes and never have visitors.....Sad times we live in....it is an attitude of me, me, me!!!

But be aware, tho, that TheSilverPost.org is for grandparents only. What too many in the elder care community don't seem to realize is that there are plenty of us elderly who never had/wanted kids even, let alone grandkids. Which, in the area I'm in anyway, is another thing that isolates us; it's considered weird & downright "ungodly/unchristian/unamerican,etc." to not have kids/g'kids. Something for the therapeutic community to remember once in a while.

One idea for "bridging the gap" is to use www.TheSilverPost.org

My mother had a severe stroke , her speech was terribly impacted. It is difficult to know what she says a lot of the time. What to do!

These are wonderful tips to help ease the loneliness so many older adults experience. It's also a great idea to enlist the help of a professional in-home caregiver to serve as a companion and enhance socialization.

I have learned that creativity and making art can provide meaning to life. Implementing Artists in Residence in nursing homes could help provide significance for people in LCTR through diverse range of creative and meaningful activities. It has been discussed in many studies that artists’ programs in LCTR provide meaning, relieve boredom and loneliness, and, most significantly, have shown a benefit for those suffering from mental illness (Brownie & Horstmanshof, 2011; Palacios-Ceña et al., 2016; Teeri, Leino-Kilpi, & Välimäki, 2006; Wood, Womack, & Hooper, 2009).

I've been so irritated with my dad I never realized maybe all he wants is conversation with me. The irritation is more because I feel we are stuck to take care of my dad while my other siblings get to live their lives. I've told them over and over to take das out or on their vacations. They hear me but rarely come visit him. They apologized to my husband and I when mom passed saying they were sorry they didn't spend more time with her, but they're doing the same thing to my dad. It's frustrating and most of the cause of my irritation. My sister is great though she helps out. It's my 3 brothers. My husband is always engaging with my dad. He's awesome and has more patience than I do. Reading all your comments opened my eyes to be more patient and take time to converse with my dad. I'm thankful he is healthy. Thank you

Just get to the last post on a thread you want to join by pressing "last" at top or bottom of the comments and type your comment in the box and press "Post comment", Is that what you are looking for? Anyone can post to any thread.

How do I become involved in the conversations?

1 3 4