Urinary Tract Infections in the Elderly

Comments

We tend to disconnect constipation from UTI. There definitely is a connection. If you have regular bowel movements you reduce your risk for UTI.

My mum is 85 with onset dementia and we have just entered her into a nursing home after being in hospital and transition care for 5 months Mum seemed to be in good spirits After being in her nursing home for 3 weeks she seemed like she was withdrawing from social events in the nursing home and then started reverting back to when my dad left her thinking he just left her 1 week ago when it was 39 years ago After a UTI test she was given antibiotics but she doesn’t seem to be getting any better My last visit she seemed very angry and thought I had taken something from her that I hadn’t She won’t get out of bed and just stares into space I’m very concern as mum has had UTI many times before but nothing like this It has scarred me and not sure if I should visit her until the UTI has left her body as she just seems like she gets angry when I’m there This behavior is not like my mum at all and when asking the nurses they said not to worry to much as she is safe clean and being looking after I just need to know if this is normal or has it also got to do with her just moving into a nursing home

The medical system has failed my father. At age 90 he was independent, living by himself, exercising & driving, etc. He had hernia repair surgery, and the swelling required him to come home with a urinary catheter for 2 days. He recovered fast but then went downhill. The surgeon had never ordered a urinalysis after the temporary catheter. Dad had a urinary tract infection but neither I nor he knew it. About 6 weeks later he fell in the bathroom at night. Diagnosis in the ER--brain bleed and UTI. He never walked again after that. The brain bleed was repaired, and then he went into a nursing home. At each step I fought with medical personnel, because they made mistake after mistake. It's too long of a story to tell it all here.

Hello. I write from Chile
My 88 years old father had a Urinary Tract Infection that was not detected by two doctors the week before I had to rush to the hospitalwith him. The symptoms were confused with dementia.
After his recovery, he went through two pneumonias. My concern is that he lost the ability to walk,after two months in bed. Furthermore, he needs diapers and assistance 24/7 Could this be temporary

I have numbness and pain in all my joints. My DR. says it is a UTI. Is this an unusual symton?

Another thing that can contribute to chronic UTI is constipation.

When asking for a Urinary Test make sure they do it via catheter because a regular urinal can be contaminated.

My mother (84) is currently in the hospital for her second UTI in 3 months. First one turned to sepsis, but she pulled through with no lasting organ damage. This one we caught earlier, thank god, and it seems that antibiotics will do the trick. She does have a large kidney stone that is most likely contributing to these, but at her age and with her numerous health problems, she's not a good candidate for surgery, even though it's not major surgery.

I learned why my Mom died from reading these comments. My Mother had suffered from chronic UTIs while she was in the NH. One day she became comatose like, the NH thought that she pneumonia. After, one day I demanded that she go to the ER. I thought that she had suffered a stroke. On the way to the hospital my Mother's heart started racing at 200 bpm. They thought she would die. She did not, but she never recovered from her comatose state; except to tell me once that she loved me. she died a few days later.

I am having Reacuring UTI's plus Iam so hurt and embarassed because i cant control my bladder at all anymore especially upon waking .Its really bad because i live in someone elses hoyse for the time being and they laugh at me and pyt me down because of tbe odor and just becauseI cant affird tbe diapers i used to get them free but now that i have been displaced i have not been able to rememember the companies name that was sending them to me please someone help me .I feel like giving up.