Does anyone deal with a nutritionist for their elderly parents?

I would like to be able to work with a nutritionist of dietician to help me plan menus for my father. He has a swallowing problem, diabetes and GERD so his diet is extremely limited. He needs to gain weight, have a mechanical soft diet and thickened liquids. It's very hard for me to figure out what to feed him, especially on days when I work.

His doctor referred us to a nutritionist, but she concentrated mainly on controlling the blood sugar.

How do you feed someone and have them gain weight if they can't have concentrated sugars, can't eat nuts, or peanut butter - things that would help put on weight?

He does not like the taste of Ensure or Boost (plus he needs no sugar varieties which have less calories). The doctor suggested Carnation Instant Breakfast and he does like that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is, as you say, extremely hard to gain weight when sugars and fats are regulated for other reasons. All of the suggestions you've been given by the nutritionist are good ones, but maybe you need to get a "second opinion" there, as you would with a doctor. Look in your phone book or call your local hospital for suggestions. When you interview the nutritionist, tell the person your dad's issues so he or she can let you know if it looks like a good fit. You may want to interview several.
Good luck! Watch this site for suggestions from readers, as well. My mom loved fresh fruit and that helped her, but she had no swallowing problems - just appetite and weight loss.