Has anyone ever made the decision to stop there elderly loved one from taking Alzheimer’s medication?

My mother has stage 6 Alz and acts afraid and anxious most of the time. The doctors say that the two prescriptions she takes, Aricept and Namenda, may or may not be keeping the symptoms at bay. It seems almost cruel at times to keep her on these meds to prolong her life when she really has no quality of life anymore. She doesn't know her family. Has anyone had to make the decision to discontinue the meds?

27

Answers

1 2 3
My dad stopped giving my mother Namenda and Aricept last month. She had been on them for 6 years and 3 months. He thought things couldn't get any worse, but since he did that, things have gotten much worse. After she stopped those meds she has gotten extremely aggressive and sometimes violent, which is very uncharacteristic for her. Is it possible to put her back on the meds, or is it too late now?

Thanks!

My mom's doctor prescribed her Zyprexa for her hallucinations. She however, only has hallucinations around every two weeks. The episode usually lasts three to four days. I'm just not sure about giving her this med. He also prescribed her Neudexta for her crying. I know that she is crying because she is frustrated and not is not crying for no reason. I trust her doctor but just think he made these choices too quickly.

I think Dr.s here have so many patients and with medicare issues they just really don't care that much. Yes I have made the police and the sheriff fully aware of his condition...He really tries not to get aggressive..I can't help but feel so sad that he has this horrible disease. I am also very aware of what can happen really quick. His sister passed away with alzhiemers and so did his mother..His mom was not aggressive, but his sister was really bad..That is why documentation is so important. Everyone needs to know incase I would have to have the sheriff pick him up sometime..If I ever feel that he is starting to get to the aggression point that I fear for myself or my life, I will act quickly and without feeling regret..

You can start a new thread by clicking on the blue box that says ASK A QUESTION. It's beside of the words Recent Discussions. You then can fill in the blanks. I think that would be ideal, since more people will see your question and respond.

I think you have a very difficult situation and I wonder why a doctor would not put your husband in a hospital (psychiatric ward) in order to adjust his meds and determine just what is going on with him. They should determine what is causing his symptoms and treat it. If meds are the cause, they might adjust them. How long has he been taking them? There could be adjustment periods. I don't know, as I don't know anyone personally who takes those medications.

What do you mean that you want documentation, in case you need some help? Have you informed the police about him? It's not right to live in fear or danger. I would likely seek the opinion of an attorney in your jurisdiction to seek options and to protect yourself.

Others on this site may have helpful suggestions. I hope they respond.

I am new to this site, and don't know how to do a new thread...Yes our Dr. is very informed on everything he does. I want documentation just in case I need some help. Some days he is just as normal acting as anyone can be, other days he just wants to sleep all the time and stay awake all night. I still work. I take him to work with me, he generally sleeps in a chair all day. Does not get up and move around or anything. We go home, and he goes straight to bed. and wants me to sit beside the bed in a chair for hours on end until bedtime..He is cold all the time. Our house temperature is set at 85 and then he has a little electric heater on his bedstand that goes all the time. I am here to tell you I am just about fried...He is giving my health a run for its money by me not being able to exercise, do house work, just get away...I know that sounds like me me me, but believe me its not. I have just got to the point I feel suffocated...No he is not in a hospital. We have made so many emergengy trips and once we are there he get agitated and wants to go home. They let him...His neurologist has said there is really nothing more he can do for him..I don't want to take him off the meds and make him worse, but I don't want to keep him on the meds if they have stopped working..

Trannydog, I'm afraid I don't know much about the drugs you are asking about, although, I'm sure that there are some around her who do. I hope they will see your inquiry. In order to get more attention, you might post your own question on a new thread. That way more people will see it. This one, is on the tail end of an old thread and might not get much attention.

It sounds like your husband can be quite aggressive. Does he have a geriatric psychiatrist? Have you discussed all of the side effects and potential benefits with the doctor]? These type of drugs don't work well for everyone. My cousin does not take them. We considered many things in making that decision.

You say you are waiting for the doctors to tell you whether to take him off or not. Are they seeing what's going on with him? Is he in a hospital being monitored. That might be the best thing to do to get his meds adjusted. You shouldn't be with someone who is dangerous.

What do you mean when you say that part of the time you don't know where he is? I'd explore what options there might be for that, as it sounds like it might be putting him and others at risk, depending on what mood he's in.

It is good to read all these comments. My husband has alzheimers and there are times he is lucid and other times he is so far in left field its unbelievable..He is on namendia..aracept..resperdal..and numerous calming drugs. He has been on silver alert, and don't have a clue where he is part of the time. I know its not the way he wants to live..Its still a decision we are waiting on the dr. to tell us whether to continue the meds or take him off. My husband was extremely aggressive before he got this..I am almost afraid to try him without drugs, for my own safety..This is a very horrible disease. I am reading articles that say marijuana pills for medical use, really helps. Why is this not available.

3 Seraphim; Please know prayers are with your mother and you. My husband has had Alzheimer's for 10 years. His doctor has questioned the usefulness of both Namenda and Aricept and periodically has taken hubby off the meds. Honestly, when he was off or on the meds, I could not see one sliver of difference. Then, I was told unless Namenda and Aricept is administered early when the disease is first discovered, it does not help. No tests, or research has proven these drugs are effective in combating Alzheimer's---only another med on the market that rakes in billions for the pharmaceutical company that manufacturers the product. The conclusion from my husband's PCP was as follows; "if you wish to give your husband Namenda, Aricept and it makes you feel better as a caregiver, go ahead. Otherwise, you are only spending money foolishly..." There are times I faithfully give the medicine and periods of time when I do not. Nothing changes---life is the same. If anyone is getting worn down and worse, it is me---the caregiver. Seraphim, I wish you the best taking care of your mother. Honestly, I seriously doubt if there is a right or wrong answer to your question. Over-all, the only difference I see while caring for hubby is the 'quality of time' spent with him. The time of "presence." His anxiety and stress levels seem to drop, he seems more coherent and happy when I am beside him reassuring him that we are both in this together. And, as any family, that is the way it will always be. God bless. I realize this answer isn't much help, but it's all I have to give...

LeeCaregiver1, first, thanks for participating with your loved one in a clinical trial. Without these kinds of studies we would be even more ignorant about what drugs help and how long.

I expect that upon the conclusion of the trial you will be advised that since the drug is apparently not working now you can discontinue it. If there are unpleasant side effects you could ask to leave the trial now, but if it seems just neutral -- not helping but not hurting either -- it is probably a good thing to stick with it for research purposes.

I am glad to read responses from everyone as I am going through the thought process of the Alzheimer's medication of the Exelon patch. Exelon Patch was shown to help with cognition, which includes things like memory, reasoning, understanding, and communication, as well as doing daily tasks. Well it is not working anymore. Why should I continue with something that is not working. I will have further discussion with the Doctor in March of 2016 because she is in a Clinical Trial and I will keep her on the Patch until the Trial is over in March of 2016.

1 2 3