tapper729210 Asked December 2010

What financial help can I get to take care of my mother-in-law since I have to quit my job to care for her?

4

Answers

UcrazyKat59 Oct 2011
My mother is 86 years of age and I have a disability that caused me to retire. She has a 3 story house that she refuses to leave but need a stair lift and her bathroom redone to help her get around. She is a veterans widow and has Tricare Insurance etc. I was trying to see if they have any programs for the elderly that would sponsor getting these things done. She has a walker, port-a-pot and canes. She has a hard time doing the steps and sitting on the toilet upstairs because there is no privacy on the other pot. She really doesn't get to wash good except when I do it for her. Do you know of any financial help for these items?

sskape2 Dec 2010
Good Luck, Chuck

Why? Does your mother in law qualify for Medicaid. What is your husband doing for her and does he have siblings. If she does not have any money and you no longer have any income, then you'll end up spending our of your retirement and end up just as poor as she is. Marriages are put under a lot of extra stress when moving in with a parent or have one move in.

LouisW52 Dec 2010
I have the same question. My husband and I have had to move in with his father. I have RA and help as I can. My husband is loosing hours to see to his fathers needs. What can we do?