What can I expect in the end stages of liver disease?

Hi All, I've been away for a while. My dad has gotten worse. Just finished a stay in the hospital because his bilirubin numbers are way up. They are climbing daily. Everything else looks fine, but that damn bilirubin just won't stabilize. So this is the end. Dr says there's nothing more they can do. My question is, has anyone had to deal with end stage liver disease? I was told it would be at least a few months, that he would get more and more tired and weak, then stop eating... what about pain? I didn't ask about pain. Is it agonizing? I thought I was ready for this, tried to prepare. He doesn't know. It's better that way. His loose ends are tied up, no reason to have him give up when he has a couple of months to enjoy what's left. I don't like surprises. Does anyone know how it ends? Honest answers. I need to prepare. Thank you all so much.

29

Answers

1 2 3
My husband was diagnosed with liver cirrhosis on October 14, 2015. He's been in and out of the hospital and I'm feeling so helpless. I keep telling myself he's going to get better, and I know I'm just fooling myself.. He was in the hospital for Hepatic Encephalopathy for a week. And then 3 days later he went back in again for the same thing, this time he not responding. Doctors were able to bring down his ammonia level. He is home, but all he does is sleep and doesn't really want to eat. I give him his lactolos and his other medications. He's had a fluids drained like a couple of months ago on his lungs. Has and enlarged spleen. I'm so scared and worried because I don't know what to expect from this disease.. I cry each time I see him this way.

Hello my Mam had terminal liver cancer she lasted nine months after being diagnosed. In the days leading up to her death she was shopping cleaning up etc she just deteriorated one morning saying random things and losing control of her bowels. We rang doctor and he advised hospital within 48 hours of hospital she passed away peacefully aged 57 she never moaned or let her illness get to her

My husband is dying of stage 4 cirrhosis he has blood all over our sheets he has swelling in his abdomen he had a fibroscan score of 48 normal is 10 it is very scary.. he has started the harvoni and ribavirin treatment for his hepatitis C he will not be on the transplant list as he has maJor heart problems a pacemaker defibrillator and heart valve he Has become very awnery and I hate it when he goes incoherent with the hepatic encephalopathy he looks like he's staring at the ceiling all the time in to space like nobody's there I call it the little bird look it takes so much time once 45 minutes just to get him in from the recliner into bed he gets arguing and combative I'm hanging in there I need four surgeries myself a hip replacement and two knee Replacements but he obviously can't care for me so I will care for him we are common law married we've been together 22 years it's a lot for a woman to go through who never got a marriage or a diamond ring but I love him and that's what you do when you love somebody you stand by them good luck to all of you

God bless you! And I will enjoy my time with him. And try to stay strong.

Also, all the symptoms you have described are either already present or starting with my dad. Fluid is his main comfort problem right now. Trying to get rid of it with medication. Doubling all his doses. As you said, it happens without warning. The doctor told me the same. I'm conflicted today because I had a out of state 3 day trip planned from February and I don't know if I should go. My daughter volunteered to stay with him, but I feel so guilty leaving. With you saying, it happens out of nowhere, I think I realize I need to stay with him

Thank you! I'm so sorry about your wife. I will keep you in my prayers. And will spend these last days with my dad. He is deteriorating and it breaks my heart not being able to do anything for him

Im so sorry. I just lost my wife to liver failure. IF IT ENDS UP WHERE HIS LIVER IS GOING TO FAIL.....
I have to say that it will come out of nowhere... atleast you know its going to happen. .. maybe my experiences can give you some idea what to expect so you can be ready to make every effort to make it as easy as possible for him and you both. i know it differs from person to person. With liver failure, the person with little time left could very well face kidney issues.. when function of one thing starts to go, others begin to follow...and one of the key complications when the liver fails, blood ammonia levels will most likely go up and will also likely experience delusions and confusion.. if that be the case then, just keep your loved one comfortable and BE READY to go to the hospital so steps can be mate to make him comfortable and try to prevent seizures that can happen because of the rise of blood enzymes and ammonia.
My wife knew her time was coming, so she began to drink to help ease some of the stress and discomfort...
Soon Her ammonia levels along with other toxins in the blood affected the brain and she began to cease. .. i mannaged to get her to the hospital before that began so the hospital tepated her and , still had a hard time going. But all in all, it was just the body and the nervous system that dramatize the scene. She was under... first it was a drug induced coma, then the machine was breathing for her.... truthfuly she was medicated through most of the end process of passing.. any time a person begins to die, even though the main organs required to live begin to shut down, the nervous system tends to be the longest part of the hump... also, the heart ive learned is very resilient...
dont be alarmed, because what appears to be a struggle , really isnt as bad as it may look. As long as he is tebated, the medication stills the mind and brain activity where he shouldnt be aware of the seporation of mind and body.... when the time comes to take the tube, it wont take long..... ofcourse THOSE WERE THE ABSOLUTE LONGEST MINUTES OF MY LIFE, EVER !!! Even though she is gone, and life to her now is nothing more than a blink... the hardest part is having to go on without your loved one hoping every day that i can bee with her again....
Just be strong, and appreciate every single moment you can while you can.

My dad was recently diagnosed with ESLD. He also has two tumors on his liver. Biopsy results show dead tissue. The oncologist said there is nothing he can do for him. I have him on hospice, which he doesn't know. He doesn't know how sick he is. Me and my daughter are going to talk to him this weekend. Its sad because he started having symptoms 8 months ago and was misdiagnosed. If they had caught it earlier, his outlook would have been better.

Im so sorry to all those with a loved one with livrr failure. Its gut wrenching to watch. My mom was in end stage liver failure. She could no longer walk, feed herself, or hold a intelligible conversation . She was in the hospital every week and often slipped into comas. She received a livrr transplant. I was comforted to find that she had very little memory of the last year she was sick and no memory of the last 30 days of her illness prior to the transplant. I hope you find some peace and comfort in the comments by those who went thru similar experiences . Many hugs.

1 2 3