windytown Asked April 2011

Are there adult diapers that may be more comfortable that Depends?

My mom staunchly resists wearing Depends, but when I had an important doctor's appointment today, she resigned herself to wearing a pair as she realized she could be stuck in her chair for awhile.

Upon my return, I helped her in pulling up her pants in the bathroom and she had underwear on UNDER her Depends. I told her that kind of defeated the purpose and she said she didn't care. She's says they're too scratchy and uncomfortable and the underwear makes them bearable. If she ever did actually do her business in her pants, she would just throw the underwear away. I guess that's her choice, however stubborn, but it seems like an expensive route to take.

Given her attitude, I doubt she'd be open to an alternative product, but I just thought I'd ask if anyone knows of, or cares for someone that uses a different brand?

18

Answers

whisper Dec 2016
I'll tell y'all , I need disposable undies for incontinence and IBSD where I have sudden onset terrible diarrhea . These disposable undies are definitely uncomfortable, causing severe itching which is impossible not to scratch, and older skin breaks easily, causing rawness and pain. They also cause you to sweat to the point of being wet all over and your skin stays wet. All brands, horrible, and so uncomfortable. Don't question people who wear them just believe us, they are so bad, in need of revamping ! I heard the ones from Europe are much better, I am going to try to find them. Old age is absolutely NOT THE GOLDEN YEARS !!

I have found Abena to be the very best on the market! I order them on Amazon, but you can order them direct from Northshore supply. They are expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

Oh I guess I should also explain we are up every 2-4 hours so perhaps that's why that particular brand works. She can't stand to be in anything wet and that wetness will make her think she has to go to the bathroom. She often will pee once in the depends then the next time will wake her up making her want to go to the bathroom or at least try.

We use the Sams Club pull-up on my grandma. She tried depends and a few other brands. The depends broke her out and another brand we tried made lines on her skin due to the cut being wrong. One brand we tried had left open spaces causing yeast to grow in the folds. Finally we found the pull-ups at Sams Club to fit her the best and hold the most. We have occasionally a wet pair of pants but even then it's a little line at the top which is easily manageable. Sometimes just trying different brands is the answer. I think of it as like underwear. Some people wear briefs and some wear bikini, so to expect one cut of depends to fit everyone doesn't make sense.

Cheyenne93 Feb 2016
Went online to HDIS and send my question.

Guards - hmmm -- not sure 'cause sometimes, about once every two weeks or so, he has a bowel movement accident.

Thank you.

freqflyer Feb 2016
Oops, me bad, I was answering a post from 2011.... my how times flies :)

For Cheyenne, as cwillie had written, try the Depends Guards for men. My Dad uses them, but he uses them inside of his Depends to get longer wear out of that one Depends. Guards can be used in regular underwear on what type of underwear he wears, boxers or briefs as to how the Guards would fit.

freqflyer Feb 2016
There is a company called HDIS on-line that sells many different brands. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a sample package to try out.

I tried Always briefs and found them to be comfortable, and I am the type that any tag on a shirt will drive me bonkers. I wore the Always after having kidney surgery so it was just for a couple of days. Worth a try if this product is what is needed.

cwillie Feb 2016
Cheyenne, I don't have any experience with products for men, but if he is able to go 24 hours without wetting his pullup perhaps he doesn't need that level of protection and would be more comfortable using the men's guards.

Cheyenne93 Feb 2016
nylon panties coated with PUL - not what I'm looking for.
Tena, I'll try as they have some freebies on their website.

Cheyenne93 Feb 2016
I'll look these up today. nylon panties coated with PUL on the internet.. Will also check out Tena. Cause Hubby has problem of the pants being too sweaty. I've just been buying the drugstore brand because of the price.
WONDER - if changing the drugstore brand every 12 hours instead of every 24 hours would help, also??? Any thoughts, pls? As last night at 1.30 am he was up thinking he p_ed in his pants and all it was was sweat. Tnx.