Patty0908 Asked June 2012

Am I violating HIPAA?

If i make public, through online discussion or a petition, the name of an individual who is being over-medicated with antipsychotics at a particular nursing home (which i name) - is this somehow related to HIPAA violation?

4

Answers

mrsribit Jun 2012
You're not bound by HIPAA as a family member.

mrsribit Jun 2012
How does the petition work? I'm not familiar with this? Sounds like you're just doing all you can to get the best care for her.

Patty0908 Jun 2012
Actually i started a petition to a nursing home asking to stop over-medicating my aunt. No real way to advocate for my aunt without naming her or the nursing home. We cousins have also had a discussion or 2 over facebook about this situation.

mrsribit Jun 2012
Are you a paid healthcare worker? Are you sharing personal info with people that have no authority to do anything with the info? If so then yes you are violating HIPAA. If not then you still need to protect privacy. You can get assistance from people on the discussion boards without giving personal info. You aren't violating HIPAA if you ask questions about how to do something without using personal info in order to learn what you need to do, then you can give all the details to those who do have authority. I hope I answered your question. I don't know if I understood correctly but if you want to discuss this more I and I'm sure others would be glad to help.