How can I prevent my mother's undergarments from making her legs itch and become tender?

My 89 yr old mother wears undergarments. Sitting for long periods of time with these garments may be developing some complications. The skin of her inner legs itch and are tender. In some cases they tear and bleed. I've tried various treatments. Any suggestions?

19

Answers

There is another product called SNOW BALM. Has lanolin, zinc oxide, olive oil and other good ingredients too!

Good old corn starch I found works the best. Helps keep it dry, and heal it up fast when inflamed. I use it on my 98 year old grandmother all the time. Even worked better then the medicated cream the dr gave. One of the aids that help me with her told me this and I couldn't believe how fast it worked and it help keep the raw spots from coming back.

Do away with them. Remember the moo-moo dresses or housedresses. I came home with 7 new pretty dresses. Stripped her naked and threw one over her head. Then served her lunch. While she ate I tossed all the undergarments. This made bathroom visits easier for us both and she was so much more comfortable. Dressing and undressing her was never a chore.

Hospice prescribed Nystatin powder for my father. It was a miraculous powder, to say the least. It is especially good, if the irritation is caused by a yeast or fungus infection, which often happens in wet areas. Good Luck!

Thank you, everyone! The bleeding is checking. I've applied olive oil, gauze and corn starch in the pants. I will get the suggested egg carton foam for mom's seat.

Thank you again!

Hope one or two or six work..something should good luck...

Those were great answers you guys are the greatest.

I never used the olive oil for my mom, but it does sound like a good idea. I do know there are special health supply stores they sell sweet cream its is like the cream you use on babies but for adults. It is is a large jar and last a long time.

Ras - for my mom the solution was MENS"S boxer briefs....The design of womens undies is awful - the elastic in the legs is generally just the right sort to cause riding up and cut into skin no matter how old. The solutions for my mom was to get her panties that were 2 sizes too big. This way the legs were large and the elastic there served only to keep them close to her body not get really tight. After a few months I began to buy her MENS underwear - cotton boxer briefs to be exact. The fabric itself has some stretch, there's no elastic in the legs to cut into her skin and the waste band is actually larger and more comfortable. The longer length seems to keep her warmer too. I stitched the front opening closed and cut out the extra over lapping fabric so it doesn't bunch up in front.

Once Mom got to the nursing home, they alway use depends undergarments. She hated it at first but it's necessary if she can't get to the bathroom fast enough. She thinks they're actually comfy now and doesn't mind them at all. They also seem to absorb sweat and readily whick any liquid away from her skin.

Old skin is really sensitive so the nursing home also uses towlettes with moisturizing lotion built right in.

You don't need "treatments". Change her underwear about every three hours. Keep her skin immaculately clean. Use Johnson and Johnson First Aid cream initially. Don't let her scratch.