Angiekins Asked November 2009

How do you transport seriously ill patients to another hospital in another state?

My boyfriend and I are about to make a tough decision about what to do with his mother who lives out of state. She is quickly deteriorating from Vasculitis. She is now unable to care for herself. Can anyone say how difficult it is to transfer a hospital patients to another state so they can be closer to family?

28

Answers

1 3
Marilynbennem64 Dec 21, 2017
My mother is ill in New York, she is now hospitalized at Kingsbrook Jewish medical center, I am trying to get her home , which is Charleston south carolina, how do I start the process of get her doctor care here in south Carolina

Whitfield Nov 2016
What if a nursing home fails to comply with the discharge when requested by the patient and the family? Do they need to do this in a timely matter? It has been 3 weeks. One in a hospital two in a nursing home. They do not complete the discharge paper work and then charts need to be updated again.

pamstegma Apr 2016
The charge would depend on the level of care needed during transport.
These are the rates from Utah:
(a) Ground Ambulance - $696.00 per transport.
(b) Advanced EMT and EMT-IA Ground Ambulance - $919.00 per transport.
(c) Paramedic Ground Ambulance - $1,344.00 per transport.
(d) Ground Ambulance with Paramedic on-board - $1,344.00 per transport if:
(i) a dispatch agency dispatches a paramedic licensee to treat the individual;
(ii) the paramedic licensee has initiated advanced life support;
(iii) on-line medical control directs that a paramedic remain with the patient during transport; and
(iv) an ambulance service that interfaces with a paramedic rescue service and has an interlocal or equivalent agreement in place, dealing with reimbursing the paramedic agency for services provided up to a maximum of $286.68 per transport.
PLUS the mileage.
(4) Mileage Rate-(a) $31.65 per mile or fraction thereof.

blyndgesser Apr 2016
How much do services like ACC MedLink and National Medical Transport charge per mile to transport patients?

Beth1942 Feb 2016
we are in a situation now where my sister is in a hospital that we felt weren't doing all they could for my sister, we requested a transfer and we were told in order to transfer her they need to find a physician at the other hospital that will accept her as a new patient. They have tried twice to transfer but they keep telling us they can not find an accepting physician. She is on medicare, if we try to have her transferred ourselves they say we would have to pay for the transportation which they also say would cost from 20 thousand to 60 thousand dollars and that medicare would not pay for her medical treatment. Of course we don't have that kind of cash to pay for transportation. We have now requested they try another hospital, that was just yesterday and I have to call to see what happened with that. I'm in the same state but 200 miles away and have a sick husband or I would be there to have hands on participation. They say the new hospital says the one where she is now is doing everything the new one would be able to do, therefore they won't agree to take her as their patient. She was doing great but she had to learn how to walk all over again and they wouldn't release her to go home because she is a widow and lives alone so they transferred her to a nursing home for therapy and in 2 1/2 days she was back in the hospital comatose. Just finally yesterday they told me she is a little better and can respond a little. I'm so sick to think we don't have the liberty to move a very sick relative to get better care in this country. It's very very sad.

pamstegma Apr 2015
No insurance will pay for ambulance transport unless it is medically necessary for treatment. So it would be all out-of -pocket and extremely expensive to move the patient. If you cross state lines, Medicaid stops cold. Moving the insurance is even more hassle than moving the patient.

JF00058 Apr 2015
A friends parent is very ill in a hospital in Florida.They are trying to figure out how to get her home where they can be close by to care for her. While she is insured, the finances are not without limits.

PattyL Apr 2015
I used ACC Medlink when I needed to have my family member transported into a facility and they were great. First off, they constantly followed up with me. When I called just to make a simple inquiry, they called me back and sent me e-mails; they really wanted me to be as knowledgeable about their process as much as possible. When I made a reservation, they sent me everything I needed over e-mail and I appreciated that. On the day of the pick-up they called to let us know they were on their way and they'd be five minutes late. Overall, I just really appreciated the level of customer service. The transport trip went great, no complaints what so ever. Even the facility my family member was dropped off in complimented how great ACC Medlink was. Afterwards, ACC called to follow up and make sure everything was okay, and that just shows how much they care about the people they help. I was a little surprised by the prices but if that is what it costs for the excellent service I received, then so be it. I definitely recommend them!

Chicago1954 Apr 2015
I am sorry Patricia, but there is not. Does she have her own health insurance? If so, ask them what they will pay.

patricia05 Apr 2015
trying to move my Mother to Georgia where I live to a hospital and everything is arranged except need assistance with covering the cost of the ambulance ride is there any agencies to assist with the cost will take 2300.00 to move her anyone know of someone that can help

1 3