What are some tips for lifting an elderly?

Lifting mom is getting to be too much. We use a belt but she is getting so she doesn't help at all with her muscles. I am afraid my husband and I and the caregiver are reaching our limits. Power lifts are too expensive and won't fit in her bedroom. Are there any tips to lifting? I just need her to be able to take a few steps to the bed. She can 't use the walker anymore.

20

Answers

How do we ge4t qualified for Medicaid nursing home? We live in Texas and both of our incomes are counted. My husband is in need of more help and I am wearing down pretty quickly. I am still working full time and he is currently in a rehab after falling and fracturing his C2 vertebrae in his neck. He has been diagnosed about 2 or 3 yrs ago with Progressive Supra Nuclear Palsy.

I am taking care of my 60 yr old sister who has dementia...she can get out of bed by herself and walks fine...she stays in bed mostly, but have to get her up to shower and change her...she resists, very suborn like a 5'8", 200 lb. 2 year old,( and I am only 4' 11") so the only way I could get her up was to put her feet on the floor between my feet, grab her wrists and pull...this is hard on both of us and bruised her wrists....I made a long strap, about 5' long and 8" wide out of doubled denim material.I slip it behind her back and under her armpits....then I can grab the ends and pull on it, instead of her wrists...may redo it some, make it wider with handles, and put it in the bed before she lays down...this would spread the pressure out more...anyone who sews at all can make one....haven't seen anything quite like it out there yet....hopes this helps someone.

Dee2- I understand a bit better your situation and wish you the best. If you have been lifting your heavy mother for two years you are flirting with disaster. As an engineer I look for solutions- for the toilet do you have handrails for her to use? There is a "liftchair for the toilet" mentioned on my website which would get her about 90% standing. Also there is a SuperPole sold by Healthcraft- would she be able to grasp a pole in front of her to stand up? The problem is more mental than physical- would grabbing a pole cue her body to stand up? Bedroom- you are lucky to have a hard floor but slings are a pain (and moving your mother around will strain you). If grabbing a pole cues her body to stand then a SuperPole or my Friendly Bed system might make bed transfers easy without straining yourself. Just throwing out ideas out as I run across this a lot- the caregiver's health becomes the more important factor as any injury there causes everything to fall apart. Good luck- and if I can help please let me know.

Friendly, if you were talking to me. my Mom has strong legs but her brain doesnt tell her what to do with them. When I lift her they slide forward. I did get the hoyer lift last Friday and I have a hard pergo floor in her room so it slide nice. Its trucky getting that sling on correctly and she is so tough to roll because she is heavy, yells , and resists against me. Oh its so nice when its on right, I have to learn this, and she needs to cooperate, lol. She hasnt walked and I have been lifting her for about 2 years, my arms are so bad I cannot lift them to roll myself over in bed, I need help. Its funny, sometimes she will give me about 25% of standing strength, but I never know when she will. One day last week I couldnt get her off the toilet and waited 40 mins until my husband got home and he helped me. I wish I could get medicare help for Mom but since she lives in our home, they assume its all up to me and wont send anyone, even with drs orders. She has no open sores, or anything other than she is completely helpless with late stage alz, copd, etc. nice huh?

The bed area is a dangerous area for the person and caregiver. I see a Hoyer lift mentioned but moving it around (especially on carpet) is tough. If she has any upper body strength you could check out Friendly Beds (even has a option for people with little/no leg strength although it sounds like she has enough leg strength to safely bed transfer without that option).

My mother in law weighed about 300 lbs and couldnt stand for more than a few seconds, she did not walk at all for 6 yrs, using her scooter and not even trying. she qualified with medicare for 36hours a wk home health care. Aside from routine visits from a nurse to monitor her and meds, she had someone every day. her 36 hrs she chose was 10am (cause she slept late) till 4pm a couple times a wk, 10 am to 1pm a couple times a wk and on sunday someone from 10am to 2pm. They made her meals, made sure she took meds, helped her with bathing, dressing, did laundry, ran errands for groceries, prescriptions, etc. It was a God send

Hi penrp4, My moms was/is like that and I got a lift chair a Sams club (online). It is great to help me get my mom up.The rehab taught me that you should put the wheelchair so that their feet are where you are going to sit them so that you lift (knees bent) turn, and down. (transfer lift) I go up under my moms armpits and give her a big bear hug and say 1 2 3 we are going to stand. I just today rented a van and got my Mom to the dr because my arms are killing me from lifting Mom for the past 18 months+ and he gave me a script for a hoyer lift. You can ask your dr or buy one on amazon.My moms late stage alz also. You have to understad that the two of you can fall together and then what? I had a friend lift her mom and they fell onto the bed gently, but the mom broke her neck, so its a dangerous thing so keep that in mind as I do ok!! I am going to get a hoyer lift now, with a commode sling opening, and am hoping for the best. Good luck

My husband has had Alzheimers for 9 years and now he is having trouble getting up and down and can't walk for very long. I have hired a caregiver, but he won't let her do anything. He only wants me to. What can I do? Has anyone ever had this problem?

You are welcome. I am so sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. Remember you are doing the best you can for your Mom. Best Wishes.

Thanks Jenn, yes I have a 3 hour woman who will help me. We will lift her as long as we can ,hate the thoughts of taking another step down in her care. She seems to sleep a lot now too, very sad.
Thank you again.