Can my husband and I take my mother off as a dependent on our tax return?

Asked by

I'm my mother's full time caregiver. Besides my mother's Social Security, my Husband is the only one that receives a paycheck. We all live in the same house. What do we have to do to take her off as a dependant or a deduction?

Answers 1 to 1 of 1
Expert Answer
3930 helpful answers
You should see a CPA who knows the IRS requirements. In general, you'd have to be able to take your mother as a dependent. If you can do that, then you could take tax deductions. There may be other ways to take deductions, so a specialist is advised. In your case, I'd get right on it because likely there are deductions you can take, but you want to do so legally.
Good luck,

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support