Can I sue my mom for falling on purpose?

My mom has been falling on purpose to get attention and hurting herself and the doctor has told her the next time she falls shes going into the nursing home ,which means I have to get a job and uproot my children out of our home where we finally got to have for the past two years , I have been seeing about my mom thats why I haven't been working.

34

Answers

1 2 3 4
Looks like I made my comment before reading all other responses. I was just baffled about sueing your parent? For what ...... Money (pretty obvious since Kitty doesn't want her to go to a NH) Then she was worried about having to get a job and move. Just sounded self absorbed to me. I do know we all get frustrated, but wow that has never crossed my mind and I don't think I have ever read any one else suggest. That is probably why it shocked everyone so. I hope she does put her mother in a NH. They can put an alarm on her bed so she will be safe.

Sounds like you don't want to get a job. If she keeps falling maybe she should go into nh. If she is faking it (sounds unlikely) there is some unhappiness for her there. Just my guess

so sad... we all hate the thought of someone we love falling and dying that way... God bless that family and give them peace!

I have a very sad story about a Mother that had a fall. One of my long time customers (28 years client relationship, her hairdresser) took her Mom into her own home, at first notice of her needing 24/7 care. She was just failing with age basically, needed a walker, basic needs compared to most, an easy Mom to care for. Just starting with signs of dementia. Her Mom never tried to go down the stairs alone, infact was afraid to do so. A visiting nurse came in to check on her after a rehab visit and had given her Mom a B12 shot then left for the day. Her Mom was sitting comfortably in her comfy chair as normal. So she said to her son I am going to walk the dog Keep an eye on your Gram. A very responsable 28 year old. He left his Gram to get her a drink at her request. Never thinking she'd get up. Well, she had gotten up an without walker tried to go down the stairs and fell down the steps. She later died from internal bleeding as well as broken bones. One minute content the next a horrible accident. I just thought I would share this with you all while on the subject. Noone knows what made her get up or attempt the impossible but I do not believe this was intentional. Perhaps the B12 shot made her feel 20 again?

anybody ask question yes we answer it , yes most ofthe time they dont come back . anytime u see a questions that blows you away , hell yes ! you dont sue ur elders im sorry , its just plaine wrong . think about it , can i sue my mom for fallin down as a purpose , uhhhhh somethings wrong here . sue me if i crap my pant ! it just all wrong ! so wrong . sometimes we do need to be a lit harsh cuz there is so many people out there just dont give a crap about thier parents and it just burns my hindend .
kitycat - i still say to u , you dont sue ur parents but if ure saying you dont mean to say that then u shal lcome back and vent more and we could help u out in other ways . i have vented and i have cried and i have felt better , AC is a lifesaver to us all .
AGAIN YOU DO NOT SUE UR MOM ....

I care for my Mom too and I agree there are times I would like to scream... However I know that she needs me, and I also know I will not have her forever. My Father went to heaven last July... I miss him SO much! take care Mare and God bless... Stay with us please

Mare, if it was intended as a joke or a play on word then she should have said so from the beginning. I hope you stay with the sight, but you will see that some questions are asked and then the original "asker" never returns to make a comment. I am sorry all you got out of this was the negative. some very good suggestions and support were also stated.. This is a public forum. If someone posts and asks a question, then we are going to answer... sorry if you did not like the answers.. hope you find a thread that is more to your needs. hugs to you.

I am brand new to this site. I hope my question is accepted better than this one. Surely everyone who is a caretaker has at some point wanted to scream. I love my mom, but I never expected to be her caretaker. When my dad passed I promised him I would take care of her because I was the only one willing to step up. I get frustrated at times because this woman who was once independent and able to do so much has become so dependent that my life has ceased to exist. It's frustrating! No, I would never sue my mother, although I, too, believe my mother has fallen on purpose at times. I can't go visit my daughter without her falling. I came to this blog looking for coping mechinisms and I think that that's what kittycat38 is looking for. Some of your answers were very helpful. Some people need to realize that not everyone has a Norman Rockwell mother. Everyone has a bad day at times, even the most perfect mother. I say give kittycat38 the benefit of the doubt. Don't you think if she really wanted to sue her mother she would have contacted a lawyer instead of this site?

Most important is her diagnosis!? Then what meds is she taking? If her mind is not fuctioning properly and if she is in danger to herself or others, this is the criteria for 24/7 care. If a homelife situation is not the answer she needs a facility that can keep her stable and out of harms way. Harming ones self is a sign of mental instability. My Mom was climbing out of windows to get out of the house and walking up a dangerous mountain road, all just to go for a walk and to resist my care (she saw it as control,in which from her view I had control). I had to have her admitted to a behavioral health hospital. I did everything I could to keep her safe and healthy. Yes it stressed me out and yes I was tired, and I had to fight with family members to keep her in a comfy homey situation. It got to the point my care was not enough! I had to let my head think and not my heart. That was the best thing I could have done for us both. She is now being cared for... in ways, I see now, I could have never provided. In a NH she has a greater quality of life and all her daily needs are provided. Although a burden for the time and care I give her I am blessed she is still here for now. I went above and beyond to do my best but mental illness is a losing battle. I now hope that if I am in her shoes someday I have someone who treats me with the same respect, as I do her.

If a doctor thinks an elderly person (or a child) is being abused, they have a responsibility to report it to authorities or possibly lose their license to practice. I'm NOT saying there is elder abuse in this situation. A number of people have said a doctor has no authority to send someone to a nursing home. Maybe not directly but they do have a responsibility to their patient. Referring their patient to the authorities or having a social worker appointed to assess the person's home situation are well within a doctor's job. Medical personnel are well formed in suspecting child or elder abuse.

1 2 3 4