Is there a way to stop the phone solicitors and mail requests for donations that happen everyday?

My mother is 77 years old with mild dementia. Every single day there is another phone call or mail request for a donation. Today I found another charge to her credit card for supporting a presidental candidate she would NEVER in a million years vote for. I have changed over the mailing address to most of her important bills, but the phone calls and mail just keeps on coming. I cannot get a post ofice box for her. I have limited the amount of cash available to her because the door to door people were getting all of it. I have her on the do not call list but the calls still happen.

21

Answers

1 2 3
My Dad is going to have a field day with the upcoming Presidential election. The previous renter, where my Dad is living, is of a different political party according to the mail that goes into my Dad's mailbox. And Dad really dislikes one of their candidates, big time !!

In fact, Dad wanted to vote in the recent State primary to cast his vote for someone else to block out another voter who did vote for that candidate. I've never seen Dad so into a Presidential election as this one.

Cpegaso, I like that idea - but I'll use it instead with charities and political outfits that include a SASE. I used to fill them with other junk mail and return them but now I'll send them back asking for money for me.

Here's something to try my wife did after getting tired of all these calls from charities. When one particular pushy organization called and was relentless, my wife began harping about financial help due to medical problems, financial overload, etc. When she said we were up for the option for any donations, they hung up. No check ever came and they didn't call back, HUH?

With caller I.D. we finally, after trying everything, just do not answer, ever.
But then, if your Mom answers, can you get her a cell phone, unplug the landline or put it on silent in your locked room?
It is a real challenge to monitor and protect someone in your own home when they don't or are unable to cooperate. A short visit to h*ll might be easier. The creative ways that a mind that doesn't work right can come up with are mind boggling.

FF, either don't answer, or pretend you don't speak English and keep repeating something, perhaps in some made up language. Jude had a great retort; I'll see if I can find it.

These telemarketers are trained to respond to pleas of poverty; they're like tanks, they just keep rolling right over any responses.

Other things people have done: talk like a baby and just keep gurgling and making baby noises, blow whistles, make strange noises, blow a boat horn, and my favorite, which I have yet to do, is play a submarine diving sound...loud, very loudly. But keep your ear protectors by the phone.

Sometime I just pick up the phone and put it on hold and leave it for a while, then eventually hang up.

You're too nice; I'm never polite to telemarketers!

So tired of the daily asking-for-money from charities. Yes, I am on the do-not-call list but political party and charities are allowed to do calling. We usually answer, otherwise the caller tries again tomorrow, then the next day, etc.

Usually I will give a stock answer of "I am a senior citizen on limited income, sorry I cannot help".... sure enough the next reply by the caller is "I understand that, we do have pledge cards for $15, can I count on you for that amount?". I want so much to say "what part of limited income don't you understand?" but I am too polite :P

Wish there was something that could be done about that, that when a person says they are on limited income, that the caller stops the call, says have a nice day, and hangs up. I can see how some senior can get roped into giving, and giving, and giving.

I have not tried this, but I hear they work. You have to turn on caller ID. But if you save her money by paying for caller ID then it is worth it.

amazon/Incoming-Call-Blocker-Display-Blacklist/dp/B0089IHBE8

The number referred to by someone here is an "Opt out" number - doesn't work. And no, there is no way to stop the phone calls or mail, especially political mail - especially in California where there are actual laws that protect it. I have however, found a solution, but it might not work for everyone. First off, I obtained Power of Attorney and took control of all of mother's assets - the bank would no longer honor mother's requests to transfer funds or close/open accounts without my signature. I finally got her checkbook away from her, went through everything and got all checks and put them in my (locked) room. Then I got a locking mail box and put it right above the mail slot where the mail was being delivered. I taped that one shut so the only option the mail carrier had was to put it in the lock box. I didn't even need to file an application or notification with the City or the Post Office whereas if I would have changed the delivery to say the side gate, I would have had to get everyone's permission. I wrote to a coupe of these political orgs and accused them of preying on the elderly and asked for all the money back that mother had donated. I actually received a little over $2,000 from a place called FRS or something. All the others remained silent and kept sending mail. I tried to get some interest going with the L.A. Times newspaper, any TV channel that would listen and on the Internet - all to no avail. I'm still mad as hell about this shameful practice but I guess where there is "free money" there will always be shysters and swindlers who take advantage of people by making them believe they're really helping. They write these letters like they're your best and only friend and "In the Know - just you and I" type thing, make the reader believe they're doing a good thing when all they are doing by sending a check is lining some guy's pocket with their hard-earned money and setting themselves up to receive a mountain of mail. I think my next move will be to write to Erin Brokovich and see if she has any ideas on what to do about this less than honest business practice.

This is from Aging Care: just signed up both me and my mom tonight!

https://www.agingcare.com/articles/stop-junk-mail-174488.htm?cpage=0&post=1&cm=425592&z=1#425592

Popping onto this thread again -- for the donation solications that come in the mail, read the fine print on the back, and see if there's a toll free number for the company the charity uses to make cold calls. Call them directly and ask to be removed from their database/added to their do-not-call list. The website I gave earlier was for one company, but there are others, so look through the mailings you get. It's early yet, but I think I'm making a dent in the phone calls and mailings. Good luck!

1 2 3