As POA for my 76-year-old mother with dementia do I have the right to stop her from getting married?

She had been diagnosed with dementia around 2yrs ago, Met a man who is a resident in the same living facility. She has only know him for 7 months.I along with my other siblings don't think she is capable of making this kind of decision but need to know what steps to take

28

Answers

1 2 3
This post is two years old. I don't know how they get resurrected, but I'll voice an opinion. A power of attorney does NOT entitle a person to interfere in another person's life. We all need to understand that. Unless a person has been declared incompetent in a courtroom? They can do whatever the heck they want to do.

NGU, what country do you live in? ("Solicitor" is not a term typically used in US.) Since laws may vary by country this could make a difference.

Does your mother need someone to take care of her? Would this man be satisfied to be paid to play that role?

I don't think as POA you can stop her from getting married (at least in the US). POA does not give you authority over her person -- to determine where she lives, who she lives with, etc. It just authorizes you to look after her finances. But maybe if you make it clear to both of them that you will not allow the title to the house to change and the you will continue to manage her finances that will cool his ardor somewhat.

Has Mom known this man for many years, or is this a new friendship?

What does Brother think of this situation?

PS He wants to marry her and she would go along with it not realizing the problems it can corse

My brother and I have joint Power of Attorney. My mother wants to live with this man he does care for her but he likes lining his pockets doing it. It is totally about control he wants to marry her as her carer and is opposing our power of attorney he wants control over my mothers funeral if she passes first and where she will be laid to rest, we want our mother buried with our father. He has tried to change the title on my mothers house we have a solicitor and he is about to do a title search. I just want to know if we can do any thing to stop them from getting married

NGU is SHE saying he wants to marry her or is HE saying he wants to marry her? Sometimes dementia has extreme flights of fancy.

NGU100, what is your role in your mother's life? Are you guardian? Have POA? Where does she live? Has she been declared incompetent? Are there a lot of financial assets involved? A little more information, please.

My mother is 80 years old and has Dementia an 81 year man wants to marry her I do not think for the right reasons. He can fill out all the forms a month in advance then take her any where and marry if she presents well on the day how is the clergyman to know she has Dementia. Or he could try to marry her as her carer is that possible??

Phew! good she didnt marry him!

Well Mom didn't get married thank goodness. She was diagnosed with primary progressive aphasia with dementia last year.Her disease explained her very bad judgement and decision making. After the boyfriend fussed about not being included in information about her Dr.visits I point blank asked him if he was ready to accept responsibility for her care. They broke up shortly after and Mom cried to move once again this time to a senior apt complex. They asked her to move after 2 short months. Moved to assisted living but that didn't work either. Mom is here with me, should of walked her down the aisle lol! The boyfriend didn't have dementia and was a very healthy 64 yr. Old. I think a lot of the love between them was my Mom needed a companion and she had a tv and he didn't! She gave him a lot of attention and things he didn't have. Now looking back I should of just ignored a lot of things but couldn't put my finger on mom's crazy actions, now I know. Thanks everyone, it's one of those things I can laugh about now...laughing is good !!

Ronnie355, since your question was from two years ago, please tell us what happened to your Mom? Inquiring minds want to know :)

1 2 3