What can I do if a family member steals pills from our aunt whom we caregiver for?

my aunt lives at her house, myself, my fience, her grandma live here also. The grandma and her mom have addiction to pain pills. They steal are aunts pains meds and the caregiver even notices... what can i do and who can i contact? The grandma is always naggin to herself

19

Answers

Just so you know, if the 'caregiver' you mentioned noticed your aunt's pain meds missing as well, then YOU and your family have already been reported to the State for suspicion of elder abuse. VNAs are MANDATORY reporters and they have to report these suspicions by law, part of their job. You and your family are probably already being watched. If this behavior continues, the State could take charge and throw you and your relatives out of her house for her safety.. Again, VNAs are MANDATORY reporters, I am sure there is already a file or case in the VNA records. You are probably being watched already, and I agree with the above. There is a special place in hell for people who steal an elder persons pain pills. YOU, as the caregiver, are going to have to put your foot down and figure it out to stop your relatives from stealing her drugs. Frankly, if I knew who/where your aunt was, I would report it myself. Your addicted relatives need to go to rehab.

I am a 78 year old pharmacist and thought I had heard it all. I have been on pain management for several years due to a broken back and noticed my pain meds were not lasting the entire month. I even questioned my wife of 50+ years and my pharmacist (who I had hired). After getting those I loved and trusted mad at me, I found out another family member was the culprit. I had signed a contract with my MD that I would report any hanky panky but to date have not done so because of all of the repercussions (it would literally destroy my family). I have chosen to stay silent but be ultra safe with my pain meds. There is a special place in hell for those who would put their elders through this.

Also, as to anyone who needs to know what to do when your medication is being stolen and you're suddenly out (especially if you take a controlled substance) you absolutely can go to the ER and have a Dr evaluate you and often they will give you a dose or two in an emergency. If not exactly what you're prescribed then something similar that has less addictive side effects.

I don't understand why the majority of these respondents are blaming the person asking this question. It seems to me that this person is courageous for not only trying to do something about it, but also asking for help. It is very painful dealing with friends or family members (even the ones you don't really like) who are addicts or have similar issues. Especially when they treat you as less than important than their fix. If an addict wants something enough often a lock won't do it. How can you expect someone to automatically assume they must treat someone they care about as a thieving stranger? For most normal, caring individuals it's counter-intuitive to treat friends and family like that.

please need instant help now his father really needs his pills his son is taking them and telling him no way you r getting theses and takes them hims self

My boyfriend gets his pills every month. He just got them filled yesterday for severe pain he gets Morphine, Xanax, and Narco 10-325. His son abuses his dad and takes all his pills. Now his father is in pain and his son will not give them to him. He takes them every month. Just talked to his son and he told me he has them. His father is crying in pain and won't give them to him. He is taking them himself plus selling some. What do I do? Please help.

Well, I guess we are back to tough love. I have to agree.

I personally lock them in a "safe" and keep the keys being you r living their anyway and then u can administer them to her as she needs them and of couse as recommended on the bottle. As for the ones that r stealing I would boot them out of the house and threating call police. They r no way helping any matters for your Aunt's health & lifestyle and if you cannot seem to do then let the police or adult family service get involve to help you.

My sister in law actually talked the care giver at hospice into letting her givemy mom her liguid cause she did it better and was quicky taking it when nurse didnt see, people who are addicts find ways to get to pills if they know they around sadly. But locking them up in a a place they dont even know about might work for a while. But my mom before she went to hospice use to try her best to hide them from sister in law and she would somehow find them cause mom didnt lock them. my brother wouldnt believe mom about her taking them either. really suck for both people, the one in pain who needs meds and the so addicted it controls their life.

Of course they would be pain meds...those are the worst things one can ever get addicted to, and I've even heard of people stealing them from pharmacies. Those sorts of drugs need to be kept in a LOCKED place and also you should probably call the police, they may be able to do something. Hope this helps...