Is it true that social security (Federal Government), will pay you, in order to take care of your elderly parents?

I took my 83 yr old mother to her hair dresser a few days ago, and a woman who works there commented "that I should look into social security paying me, for taking care of my parents." She claims she has a neighbor who was paid by the feds, in order to take care of her elderly parents. The hair dresser lady said, "that the Federal Government would rather pay you; to take care of your parents, then to run up medicare charges for nursing home fees."
This doesn't seem possible to me, so I thought I would ask the experts here? I live in north east IL, if that plays into the equation with social security? As as side note, I have been taking care of my parents full time since 2006. My mom is 83, and my dad is 84. I had to quite my job in 2006 into order to care for them full time.
Any input on the matter is appreciated!
Thanks,
Bill

52

Answers

1 2 3 4 5
It was in the recent questions sections. Not marked closed for answers.

Administration is suppose to allow these questions to stay up but not be answered.
I try to look at the month and year posted. Also if there are tons of answers. Also, the last time the OP posted. Some post and never post again.

Should not have replied to this - It’s an OLD question.

Social security does not pay for caregiving. The person may be the representative payee for her mother. However, if that is the case her SS should only be used for her expenses and annual reports have to be filed to show that is where the SS money if going. You may, if she qualifies be able to get a few hours a week paid at about $12.00 an. But even if approved may not be able to get a waiver because there are long waiting lists. States are cutting Medicaid budgets. Many taxpayers do not want to support federal safety net programs. The federal government along with most states, want to cut programs, not expand them. The government wants individuals and families to support and save for their own needs. Most caregivers who are paid are paid by their parent or parents out of their own savings and income.

I get paid to take care of my mother so yes they do pay you. Have your parent call their social security coordinator and they will send someone out to talk to y'all.
worriedinCali Aug 18, 2018
Social security is not paying you to take care of your mother. They don’t pay for that.
(1)
I am out of work taking care of my father who is 83 can I get paid for being his caregiver??? my cousin said you can oh by the way I am in NV. Thanks Miss Dana Glass

I am in Kentucky, my dad moved in with me March 2017 almost a year a go, I am his full time caregiver with very little other family help. I did call the Social Security office to see if they would pay and they told me no since I am his daughter but they would pay for a stranger to stay with him or a faculty. He is also in Hospice care and they told me that there is something call a hardship case where I could get paid but then I'd have to drop Hospice. I need hospice, more than me getting paid, he will not go outdoors, It's like he has a phobia about going anywhere's little long him going outside, anyways I hope this helps you.

I have to care for my elderly mom but need to work to support my children! It’s impossible to do both

I'm taking care of my 85 yer old mother with colorectal cancer, can I get SS help for her healthcare expenses? She currently receives SS monthly payments for retirement.
anonymous439773 Aug 18, 2018
You need to apply for Medicaid. Social Security does not pay for medical expenses.
(0)
Oh & my mom qualifies for home health care because she had 4 strokes & is now limited her mobility. Just FYI she is 84 yrs old, gets around $800 in SS a month which just covers her mortgage. Hope that helps clarify things.

1 2 3 4 5