Is it normal for your elderly parent to be unable to stand up or walk and have slurred speech upon waking up from sleeping in their chair?

My 85 year old aunt on more than one occasion has woke up like this from her chair after falling asleep while watching t.v. this last time it happened it scared us both and she is afraid to nap in her chair now. It scared me because when I walked into her room she was as white as a ghost including her lips, which I watched the color come back into as she woke up and tried to talk to me. I have told her many times its cause you are drowsy from waking up, but this last time she couldn't get up alone, could barly pick her feet up to walk and leaned way over her walker cause she couldn't stand up strait. Her speech was slurred and she coyldnt find the words to speak. But after about 10 min of her med routine she was some better, and after getting her ready for bed she seemed almost back to normal. I have worked in nursing home and not come across quite this but then again they always were put to bed soon after supper. Just wondering if other people who take care of someone at home experiences this and if it is normal and nothing to worry about thanks:0)

21

Answers

1 2 3
I am 30 yr old female. Will tell you I have this too. Slurred speech ppl think I drink alcohol in the morning even doctors.... My diagnoses is cerebellar atrophy. Syringobulbia. Syringomyelia. Cervical spondylosis. Posterior fossa arachnoid cyst. I need surgery but surgeons don't think it's bad enough yet...and pain isn't a qualifying syptom...nothing seems to be but paralysis or seizure. I don't know what to do but at any age slurred speech, morning weakness, trouble walking is not a sign of dehydration in the morning it is neurological. It is not okay. She must get full MRI and not evaluated by one neurologist...but 20 second opinions because only 1 in 20 are worth their salary.

Very possibly a stroke. Call the MD in the AM. There is only a four hour window to administer clot busters. I think you may be past that.

Could this be a stroke?
I will call 911 next time. I should have today.

Call her doctor and ask if you should take her to er or have her seen next week.

Sorry, I clicked on "Post a new question" but it posted above as an answer.

my 85-hr old mother has Alzheimers. This afternoon, it took us almost 15-minutes to wake her up. She seemed to be having bad dream, and she was trying to speak, but words were not clear. I even blotted her face with a cold cloth to try and wake her, when patting her (aggressively) and calling her name loudly did not work. When she awoke, after about twelve minutes, she was talking out of her head. Within ten minutes she seemed fine.

I think that she needs to be taken to the doctor pronto...like the other readers pointed out, it may be a mini-stroke. With proper meds and diet, she may prevent a full stroke from occurring.

Jade1950, I agree I would take him back to the dr. And have them take a good look at his meds. There are plenty of anti depressants out there that that do not cause a person to turn into a zombie. It could also be the meds are no longer working for him and he needs somthing new. In that case he would definatley need a replacment med, and not just taken off the current one. Good luck Honey:)

I don't think it is normal, either. Does he have other health problems?

I think a visit to the doctor is in order. What doctor prescribed the anti-depressant? Someone who knows your father well or someone new to his case? Has he or she followed up to see if/how the drug is working, or just automatically renewed the prescripion? Was it a specialist such as a geriatric psychiatrist or a geriatrician? Just as children are not just small adults and are best served by pediatricians who know what applies to them, elders are not just old adults. A geriatrician is trained to meet the special requirements of this stage of life.

For example, depression medications and anxiety medications can effect the elderly different than other populations. Dosages and reactions should be monitored closely.

All this is a prelude to saying I think your father needs a comprehensive exam to see why he sleeps so much, but not necessarily by the doctor who prescribed the antidepressant unless you are confident in his/her ability to treat your elderly father with the special attention he deserves.

Good luck ... and come back and let us know how this works out.

84 yr old father, sleeps all day long. He can sleep for 10-12 hrs a night and get up, eat, and go back to sleep on the chair. I don't think this is normal. I'm tired of people telling me, he is old. He has been on anti depressants for 2 yrs since my Mom died, I think I want him off them. opinions? TIA

1 2 3