Can a person receive Medicare benefits if they owe Social Security for over payment?

Asked by

A friend received too much SS from their husband and has been repaying. Now she has stage 4 cancer and just suffered a major stroke. She will not be able to work again, can she now receive Medicare benefits and hospice if she still owes SS ? She needs help with prescriptions, home care, rent everything.
Does anyone know how she can be helped thru this?
Thank you.

Answers 1 to 2 of 2
Expert Answer
15 helpful answers
I would strongly encourage her to contact Medicare directly at 1-800-MEDICARE (1800-633-4227). TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048, 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week.

She can also call the Social Security Office at 1-800-772-1213 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. TTY users should call, 1-800-325-0778.

Or she can contact her local Medicaid Office.

Without more information about her particular situation, it's difficult to answer a question like this in a forum like this one. But, the people at Medicare are very knowledgable and they're there to help. Alternately, she's welcome to reach out to one of our customer care centers at 800-404-6968 - TTY User: 711.
Will do, thanks.

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support