I've been offered a new job - in England. How do I best prepare for my mother’s travel and relocation overseas?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing


You did say you're going for a job, so be sure to contact her current Insurance Companies to see if her medical coverage will be adversely affected by the move. Medicare and Medicaid can be pickey. They might not cover her at all if she's "relocating" out of the country, not just on a vacation.
Helpful Answer (0)

Hi--I took it upon myself to send you the following in reply to your question::

Elderly travelers should keep a thorough medical history and a summary of all ongoing treatments with them while traveling and at home with a trusted relative or friend. Travelers should have a letter, written by their family doctor, describing prior illnesses and all medications used. This is especially important if using injections requiring syringes and needles as increased airport security measures make this a must.

A mild laxative should be added to your overnight bag, as constipation can be more frequent than diarrhea in the older traveler.

Older travelers may have a higher risk of developing deep venous thrombosis (DVT) in the legs. Prevention is based on adequate fluid intake, regular isometric muscle exercises, elastic compression stockings and maybe even using blood thinners prior to travel. These must, of course, be taken under consultation with a physician only.

Older travelers are more sensitive to changes in the climate and environment. The most important consideration is to ensure that the conditions of travel are suited to his or her physical condition.

Travelers with heart conditions should avoid salty foods. Those on diuretics can lose significant amounts of potassium if they contract traveler’s diarrhea and this may be even more dangerous if they are also on antiarrhythmia drugs. Prompt treatment of diarrhea in this situation is essential. Chemoprophylaxis of traveler’s diarrhea may be even more important for the elderly. Be sure to consult your physician regarding Xifaxan (rifaximin) prior to travel.

Travelers with a history of coronary insufficiency or angina should always travel with a prescription of nitroglycerine.

People with venous problems must keep out of the heat, stay well hydrated, and remain active.

Denture adhesive is often difficult to find while traveling abroad, thus we advise travelers to take more than enough for the whole trip.

Elderly travelers are less sensitive to thirst and because of diminished kidney function are more likely to develop fluid and electrolyte disturbances.

People with hearing aids are encouraged to take along an extra battery or two.

There is a host of information online on this subject to be had-just type in your question in your browser.

Happy Traveling to you both~

Helpful Answer (1)

Don't know the answer to your question but think its wonderful that you are taking her with you. Its so easy for most people to forget their parents when the going gets tough. So I just wanted to say "WELL DONE"
Helpful Answer (0)

Thanks, I was hoping for something more substantial. Anyone have any experience with eldercare in the UK although I think we'll be on a USAF base?
Helpful Answer (0)

Go to england on a cruise and tell her it is a vacation.
Helpful Answer (0)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.